cases split......important upgrades?

aaronrkelly

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive already done the sump filter.....swapped out the side mount filter for the MikesXS kit that uses the Honda paper filters

Im splitting the cases to repair a transmission issue. Im also going to take a good look at the timing chain and guides.

Im seriously considering the OD 5th gear. Im also going to really look over the clutch while Ive got it apart and considering putting some money in that area.

Anything else I should be eyeballing while shes apart?

If'n I had some extra money laying around I might consider 750cc and/or rephase.....but thats a bit extreme and not really in the budget right now.

Look real close at the bearings. That's about all I can think of that you haven't.
Mike's 5th gear, some really like it. I might try one. It might help on my 750 kitted 75.
I have a bearing kit to install. I have this noise that I have traced to the tranny. With the clutch off I can feel movement in the input shaft of the tranny when I try to lift it up and down.
When I do the bearings I might put in the 82 tranny I have and use Mike's 5th gear. It would be nice if he did one like that for first gear, dropping first a bit will help use higher ratio sprockets.
Leo

just make sure everything is within spec. look for any cracks in the cases and clean out the oil passages

Motor is going back together today.

I went for the 5th gear "overdrive" upgrade.

I went ahead and swapped out the cam chain guide but Im reusing the stock chain, its no where near worn out.

Other then seals, gaskets etc shes going back together just like she came apart.

Does it require a complete transmission gear exchange for a 77 and earlier if the 5th gear overdrive from Mikes XS is used? I wonder why they didn't develop this gear for the earlier models as well.
jefft

Back