Gifts from PO, suggestions welcome

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok so, as you can see in the picture ive got a broken off sump plate screw. Any suggestions? thats the primary oil leak spot but he also didnt even have a gasket on it.... :wtf::confused:. So with a gasket it prob wont leak, is it worth fixing it? it doesnt stick out enough for me to spin it with some vice grips. Tried that already.

Also, what do you guys douse your filters in? I dont have a garage so im doing all this in my unfinished basement, I wanna make a little tub that I can soak things like carbs.. the sump plate, filters etc. What cleaner do you guys use and are there any household alternatives that won't kill everyone in their sleep..... lol.

thanks.

Oh, and I found this small shard of aluminum by my sump, doesnt come from the sump from what I can tell (ill add, it is a very crudely manufactored peice of aluminum, definitely not from any internal engine part, case peice I gather). The key beside it is for reference. Standard house key size. Would you take this as a sign to rebuild? or brush it off?... I really don't want to rebuild the engine lol..

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 96
The bolt stub; first cut a slot with a dremel cut off disk and see if a screw driver will get it out. When that fails.:doh: put the cover on, use a sleeve around a drill bit to keep it centered and drill it then easy out it.
Not sure what the chunk is. probably safe to ignore.

For parts cleaning I use oderless paint thinner, it is flammable but works well and not very smelly properly dispose of rags and towels every time you use them. Covered metal bucket away from flammables.

One more trick, the local auto store will have a left hand set of small drill bits just for this job, about 70% of the time the drill bit unscrews the bolt before it drills all the way through. That is priceless when it works!

If you are handy with a welder put a nut over that stud and weld. The stud has to be broken below the hole for this to not work.

If you do try the drilling, you might want to file the end of the bolt flat first. The bit will not try to wander as much.

Back