Center stand with short Emgo reverse cones?

bennecc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody who is using the 17" reverse cone shorty mufflers (mine are Emgo, I assume the ones from Mikes will have the same problem) have any tips for how to modify the center stand?

I mounted the mufflers on to the stock headers on my '81, but now the foot bracket of the center stand interferes with the bottom of the fat part of the muffler. I thought I could just bend the stand around the muffler, but after a closer look I'm not so sure.

Has anyone cut off (the majority of) that foot bracket part of the stand? Can you still get the bike up on the stand?

I'd really like to keep the center stand, as I don't really trust my side stand.

ben, I encountered that on my '73 as well, but since I never really use the centerstand, I find that it's still retracted plenty out of the way, and I just leave it. One day I may get around to fabbing a little rubber collar or bumper around the foot tang, rather than cut or otherwise modify it.

It's pretty hard to bend and re-shape those tangs, I know, I've tried. It would be easier to cut a slit in it, bend it there, then re-weld it. A short length of heater hose slipped on the tang will keep it from clanging against the muffler .....

BracedStand.jpg

Here's a photo I took of the center stand hitting the muffler. It hits right at the fattest part of the muffler, and there is no way to tuck the muffler in any tighter.

photo%283%29.jpg

To really move the stand up it looks like I'll have to bend the tang until it is nearly straight. I'm not sure how doing this will affect putting the bike up on the stand, even if I can manage to bend it. If I cut the tang off and leave just an inch or two I think It would clear the muffler; but, I have no idea how much harder it will be to get the bike up on the stand.

Anybody tried a shorter tang?

I do. Besides the obvious servicing benefits, I've found bikes are easier to start and less prone to flooding out when level on a centerstand.

Back