MikesXS 2-into-1 Exhaust + Perf. Cone Muffler - Thoughts?

BadYamaJama

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to do a major rebuild on my 1983 Special, and since I'll be popping the exhaust off to get at the clutch/alternator/kick start shaft anyway, I'm thinking about replacing the muffler.

Current set up is from the P.O., running Mike's 2-into-1 performance exhaust w/a 12" shorty muffler (Part #'s 07-0767 & #07-0010). The problem is the thing sounds like a dirt bike, so I'm thinking of replacing the muffler with Mike's Performance Reverse Cone Muffler (Part #07-0114).

I don't think the P.O. messed with the timing or anything major (Does have documented work on a carb rebuild kit - may have bumped a jet up?), but the current setup sounds terrible. I'm thinking with the longer cone there might be better sound (And performance over the shorty), but I don't know if swapping the muffler will help with the overall sound.

Has anyone ever run this setup and can give me an indication of what it'll sound like? Or any other ideas about why she sounds so 'tinny'? The shorty does have a baffle in it...And the 2-into-1 is quite blued from the ports almost all the way down to the manifold (Another reason for the overhaul).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT* After much searching on the interwebs, it sounds like 2-into-1's on the oldies generally sound a bit crap. That said, I'm still open to ideas if you have any!

Last edited:
Well Ican't say much about the exhaust except you don't need to take it off the pull the right side engine cover.
Leo

I would ditch the 2 into one. Mikes commando 2into2 system if you don't want to wake the neighbors. Pipes normally blue. Just wondering why you are doing the rebuild ?

If I did the 2-1 again I'd go with Gordon Scott. That said, you'll need the XS Performance needle kit to get It tuned right.
My bike is sportin' a Cherry Bomb glasspack. "Classic" said it sounds like a Thumper... On Meth.

I would ditch the 2 into one. Mikes commando 2into2 system if you don't want to wake the neighbors. Pipes normally blue. Just wondering why you are doing the rebuild ?
Scabber,

I'm not splitting the cases or anything, but the bike needs the usual problems fixed - The #4 gear chatters while engaging, the kick springs needs to be replaced, clutch needs to be rebuilt....etc. Plus the valves need to be adjusted so that left case is coming off & I'm checking the alternator while I'm in there.

Plus tons of little things on the outside - new bars (So new cables all around), carbs need to be adjusted (P.O. had them professionally cleaned and rejetted apparently, but didn't replace the carb holders/anything rubber), new breather line, rear chain adjusters need to be replaced, stubby side stand needs to be replaced/adjusted...The list goes on and on :)

Back