Cerakoting - how does it stand up long term ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm seeing more and more motorcycle parts getting cerakoted, and I must say that it looks very smart when new.
I'm just wondering how it stands up long term, when exposed to the elements, or to the minor damage that occurs to all motorcycles used on a daily basis.
I believe that anything that has a tendency to corrode will do eventually, steel and cast iron will rust, aluminium and its alloys turn tp a white powder unless maintained.
So will the constant expansion and contraction of an exhaust system allow cracks to form in the cerakote ?
How about alloy castings ?
Will they eventually corrode in the same deep pitting way they do when chromed ?
I'm sort of tempted by Cerakote but I don't want to get involved with something that's going to become a curse later on

I did some calipers and other parts. I will see.
IMG_3744.jpeg

I've had quite a few parts done and have been happy with it.
I had a tank done 5 years ago and it's held up well.

From what I've seen of it initially it's pretty much like powder coat, maybe a little tougher, but will still flake, scrape and chip off.
They currently use it on diesel exhaust manifolds made where I work. I haven't seen it after heat exposure but large manifolds like this are multi piece, typical 6 cylinder Mack, Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar or other use 3 piece units. These have to be assembled and glued as an assembly. More stringent EPA regs asking for decreased emissions levels we re looking at press fitting the assemblies for which I designed and built a press fixture. where there's mismatch in the fits the coating flakes off as powder as the parts go together.

Last edited:
The “C” glacier series is good to 1800 degrees. Once it fully cured nothing will cut it, it needs to be blasted off. The “C” series is air cured. Check out their Website tons of info.

Back