changing brake/throttle side switchable control

jackstraw650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Stupid electrical question time: I have a '79 XS standard that has a damaged brake/throttle side switchable control. It needs replacing which, in itself, is no problem. Mike's XS stocks a controller that fits '76-'78 XS and has a headlight on/off switch. I was going to install an on/off switch during the build anyway........would using this controller work OK on my '79? I mean from the standpoint of causing wiring problems.....I know given enough time, etc you can make most anything work, but since my electrical ability can be contained in a peanut shell, I thought I would check. I believe motorcycles should have a headlight on/off switch, in spite of what the feds think.

Thanks,
JS

Yes you can use that "Lights" controller on your 79. However, the harness on your 79 will not match up with the plugs on the new controller.

My 78SE has the "Lights" switch and it is functional, but only when the engine is off. Once the engine starts my safety relay turns on my lights and the switch no longer does anything.

Your 79 was designed for no switch................the safety relay turns the lights on and off with the engine starting or stopping.

So,if your safety relay works now turning on the headlight, you can just not wire the "Lights" switch.

If you want to use the "Lights" switch, there would be 2 ways to use it.

1) Wire the "Lights" switch to the blue/black and the red/yellow that are at the safety relay. Then it would work like my 78SE i.e. functional only when the engine is off.

2)If you want the "Lights" switch to totally control the lights (you would be able to turn lights on and off at any time.).................disconnect the red/yellow from the safety relay. Wire the "Lights" switch to the red/yellow (which is now not connected to the safety relay) and to the blue/black.

I find I never use the "Lights" switch..................the safety relay does this for me.

Back