Changing wheel sizes any effects?

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
Ok so I want to replace the rear 16" wheel on my 81 XS650 with an 18" and was thinking about replacing the front rim with an 18" to match. What effects will this have on the bikes steering, stability, speedo accuracy, etc?
Thanks Bill

It'll change all of that a little bit, but not by much. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are really carving up the corners. You'll be going slightly slower than your speedo says. It really depends a lot on what tires you end up using and the tire profiles as to how it's going to feel and handle.

I switched my rear to an 18, with skinnier tires. I find the steering a little faster, and the bike a little more responsive to rider input. This can be good, or bad depending on the kind of input you add.

I switched my rear to an 18, with skinnier tires. I find the steering a little faster, and the bike a little more responsive to rider input. This can be good, or bad depending on the kind of input you add.

Thanks for the input Dogger. Read your build intro post, nice job great looking bike you got there. Did you ever resolve your LED signal issue?

- 18in rear came wire spoked, standard on all non special and heritage XS650s , 18in wasnt an option for the front...the SR500 had 18 x 2.15 drum-wire spoke and disc-wire spoked and 18 x 1.85 7 spoke cast alloy, rear 18in options but not with a high shoulder alu rim
- front 18in wire spoked drums were an option for SR500 after 84-also without the high shoulder alu rim
- XS400s and RD400s had 18in 7 spoke cast alloy disc front wheels with thinner axles
- another option is to spoke new rims of your choice to your hubs

- 18in rear came wire spoked, standard on all non special and heritage XS650s , 18in wasnt an option for the front...the SR500 had 18 x 2.15 drum-wire spoke and disc-wire spoked and 18 x 1.85 7 spoke cast alloy, rear 18in options but not with a high shoulder alu rim
- front 18in wire spoked drums were an option for SR500 after 84-also without the high shoulder alu rim
- XS400s and RD400s had 18in 7 spoke cast alloy disc front wheels with thinner axles
- another option is to spoke new rims of your choice to your hubs

Thanks for the great info! Was looking at the last option "spoke new rims of your choice to your hubs". MikesXS has 18" alloy rims that are available in 2 different profiles the
"WM - Type"
rim-wm.gif

and the "H -Type"
rim-h.gif

possible newbie question but whats the difference which one do I want the WM looks like whats on there? Also anybody know if it's possible to PC the rim & spokes or how is this done? Thanks Bill
monkee16_22.jpg

Actually that has the "H" type wheel on it. They are better known as 'Rain Catcher's'. Water will stay between the shoulders of the wheel. What are you using on the front? I would match them, either way, both wheels are just as good. The "WM" will be easier to clean.

The sides of the H rim are a little higher therefore more bling when polished. But just a huge PITA to polish down in the grooves. Seriously thinking about painting the grooves in mine and polishing the sides.

Another option for an 18" front is to use a rear 18"rim and relace with XS360 spokes. Works great, you just have to drill the nipple holes at a slightly higher angle, easier than it sounds.

Actually that has the "H" type wheel on it. They are better known as 'Rain Catcher's'. Water will stay between the shoulders of the wheel.

Well somebody's just got to straighten this nomenclature thing out.....according to my favorite and official #9 guru.... Jayel, these "H" type rims are correctly termed...."dog piss catchers".

My Westies, Duncan & Wilson confirm the utility in this regard. Blue

Back