chirping from front wheel above 50mph

lipk0015

Dig
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm experiencing a chirping sound from the front wheel (spoke, disc) on the highway at speeds above roughly 50-55 mph and above.
Anybody else ever experience that? Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Andy

check the brake caliper mounts, the caliper is suppose to have free play/float on the mounting bolts if they are corroded/seized the brake pads will make noise, pull the bolts and coat them with silver anti-seize compound

It's got the new tapered steering head bearings so that shouldn't be the issue. I thought it might be wheel bearings too, but I'm not sure what those sound like when they go bad. Is there a good way to check them and tell if they are worn out?

Might be the speedo drive needs a bit of cleaning and lube.
Mount a dial indicater on the forks so the end touches the hub. Now move the tire sideways while watching the dial. Darn, I can't find the spec. I know it has one just can't find it.
Anyway in my Harley book it calls for a max of .002 of end play.
If you pull the front wheel and put the axle through the wheel and rest it on a set of jackstands or something that will hold it up so you can spin the wheel.turn the wheel slowly while feeling the bearings roll, any roughness or sticking can indicate bad bearings.
Leo

You can check the bearings with your finger. Remove the wheel and axle, stick your finger in the bearing and turn it. Should be smooth and quiet - no roughness or grinding. Also try to push and pull on the inner race to check for slop and play. There should be very little, if any.

There's 2 bearings, one on each side of the wheel.

Back