Clutch installation problems

skyhawk04kilo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting my clutch back together and I'm having issues. I originally put it all back together in the same sequence that I took it apart. I tightened down the clutch springs and there was 1/4" of play between the clutch plates and the pressure plate. Is this normal?

I have it all apart again because I thought I had one of the washers in the wrong place. It turns out I have 2 more washers than the Clymer manual says I should have. I'm totally lost. Help!

This is a '78 Special.

Yes you are, lol. Many of the manuals are wrong and omit a washer in the clutch drawings - but you shouldn't have 2 extra I don't think. Here's a labeled drawing with the correct amount and sequence for the washers. The thick ones are 2mm thick, the thin ones are 1mm .....

Clutch Hub Washers.jpg

When you install the pressure plate, it needs to be aligned properly with the basket. There's a dimple stamped on the end of one of the inner basket "ears" that should show through a hole in the pressure plate .....

PressurePlateAlignment.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. I found another thread that gave the dimensions of each washer and where it should go. Got it all back together now, but after putting on the right case cover, the kickstarter won't turn backward but turns forward fine. Guess I'll tear the cover off again tomorrow and figure out what I screwed up there...

At least I'm learning a lot about my bike!

Yes, the kickstarter. If you pulled the shaft out of place when you removed the cover the first time then you've lost the tension on the return spring. It needs to be preloaded during the install to work properly. The instructions are in the shop manual. There's one on-line here .....

http://www.biker.net/

Back