Clutch is not working (83 xs)

COSxsSix50s

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Did some reading on Mikes XS and....
"15. Q. What Engine oil should I use ?
A. We recommend a high grade 20W50 oil with a SAE rating of SJ or Higher."

Did that and now my clutch does not work. :yikes:

Did further reading in the subject at hand and discovered that some people do 20w40 or diesel motor oil. It's obvious that I'm a N00B and I would like some help to fix this.

Inspected the clutch push screw (Good)
Clutch pushrod and bearing are there... (Good)

I adjusted the clutch push screw and nothing... Not working. :wtf:

Changing the oil to 20W50 is whats not making my clutch work?

To fix it do I have to get all new oil filters? Any help will work great!

What do you mean it doesn't work.. Is is slipping? or is there no pressure at the lever? Or you can get it to disengage?

Sorry for not being clear...

There is plenty of pressure on the lever.

It wont disengage.

SO when it stalls whenever I throw it into first or second gear. Lever does not disengage it.

And nothing changed except that you changed the oil? Sounds like your clutch plates may be sticking together.

That's correct.

Changed oil...

mikes xs tech tips
"15. Q. What Engine oil should I use ?
A. We recommend a high grade 20W50 oil with a SAE rating of SJ or Higher. "

Clutch plates sticking together eh? What does all that entail?

Yeah, if the only thing you changed was the oil, for some reason it's the problem. Doesn't make sense though.

Was the old oil really thin when you drained it? Maybe you're not getting much clutch plate separation but with the old thin oil it was enough. Try warming up the bike then turn it off and roll the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Maybe you can free up the plates.

Posted via Mobile

Sometimes you can free the clutch up by pulling it in and kicking the bike over several time. When the plates break free, the kicker will just push through without turning the motor. You could try this anyway just to see if it is a case of sticking plates.

If you read the back of the oil jug. Look for a JASO-MA This means the oil is certified to work with wet clutches.
Some deisel oils have this rating, some don't. Deisel oils are 15w40.
Most any brand of motorcycle specific oils have the JASO-MA rating.

Back