Front Brake

1/2" is actually 12.7mm. I have one on one of my 650s. It will give a bit better "feel" and modulation compared to the stock 14mm unit, but not as big of an improvement as an 11mm. I also don't think the mirror mount is reverse thread like the original Yamaha one. That's the nice thing about using one from another Yamaha - you get the reverse thread mirror mount, your brake light switch swaps in, and the lever swaps.

1/2" is actually 12.7mm. I have one on one of my 650s. It will give a bit better "feel" and modulation compared to the stock 14mm unit, but not as big of an improvement as an 11mm. I also don't think the mirror mount is reverse thread like the original Yamaha one. That's the nice thing about using one from another Yamaha - you get the reverse thread mirror mount, your brake light switch swaps in, and the lever swaps.
Yeah, the brake light switch looks funky but I should be able to make it work. My stock mirror broke off & left a piece in the threads so I'd have to drill it out & get another mirror anyway. This MC comes with a lever. I think I might try it.

So the Nissin MC arrived and the 1 pc. brake line. Had some trouble connecting the line because the ends were not in the right position. I had to twist the line 180 degrees to get it connected but I was able to do that. It wasn't too hard to get the new MC pumping fluid and I filled the caliper with fluid before connecting the line. From there it was just a matter of doing a little pumping and bleeding. Front brake works fine now.

Not sure but maybe I forgot to prime the old MC before hooking it up. Maybe that's why it didn't work. Or maybe it was just screwed.

I have found that the knock off MC's are not cleaned before assembly. After a while you may find the fluid becomes dirty. I have had good luck so with them far fingers crossed.

I have found that the knock off MC's are not cleaned before assembly. After a while you may find the fluid becomes dirty. I have had good luck so with them far fingers crossed.
I might have cleaned it if I'd seen your post before putting it together but now I guess I'll wait & see what happens. What can I expect to happen if there is dirt in there?

I might have cleaned it if I'd seen your post before putting it together but now I guess I'll wait & see what happens. What can I expect to happen if there is dirt in there?
Seriously. Dirt in a master cylinder can cause brake failure. Best to be sure.

I'm surprised you had to put a twist in the brake line. All the cheap lines I've gotten from eBay came with the ends in the same plane, parallel to one another. That works well for a MC like yours with the front mounted line. You do need to put a twist in it if you try to install it on a stock MC where the line connects on the end. A line with the fittings at 90° to one another works well for that. But, it would be nice if you've stumbled across a seller that has them with ends at 90° to one another. Like I said, all the ones I've gotten so far have parallel ends. Got a link?

Regarding the new uncleaned MC's the only thing I have noticed was the fluid discolours very quickly but that grime can be doing the system any favours.

I'm surprised you had to put a twist in the brake line. All the cheap lines I've gotten from eBay came with the ends in the same plane, parallel to one another. That works well for a MC like yours with the front mounted line. You do need to put a twist in it if you try to install it on a stock MC where the line connects on the end. A line with the fittings at 90° to one another works well for that. But, it would be nice if you've stumbled across a seller that has them with ends at 90° to one another. Like I said, all the ones I've gotten so far have parallel ends. Got a link?
Some brake lines are "adjustable", the banjo is connected to a sort of "pipe union" that in turn is swaged to the hose. Venhill in the UK have hoses with that feature.
https://www.venhill.co.uk/hydraulic...-motorcycle-lines/motorcycle-brake-lines.html

I don't see any discoloration and I don't feel anything strange when I pull the lever. I think I'm just going to go with it as is & be aware of any changes. I'm not going to be trying to set any land speed records.

One thing that's disappointing is there's no adjustment at the lever on this MC. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd realized that.

Back