Clutch nut

lovebill1951

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the clutch nut a standard right thread? Thought I should check before I really crank on the torque, as it isn't coming off easy. I'll take any suggestions on that also.
I got a clutch removal tool from Mike's. I also got the clutch socket / 27 mm which is too small.
This is a 1978.
Thanks.

Mine came off semi easy and I just used an Allen wrench to hold the basket and my hand but wouldn't recamend it oh and a wood wedge in the gears again probably wouldn't recamend it but it did it's job

I just hold the clutch hub with a couple shop rags and use the rsattle gun to loosen the nut.
I think they used different nuts on different clutches. Some use a nut and lock washer and some use a nut and a lock plate. I think the lock washer set up uses the 29 mm nut and the lock plate uses the 27 mm nut. I'm not sure on that and its to cold out in the garage to go check.

The clutch removal tool has a reputation for bending into a pretzel before the nut comes off. There was a post here where a guy just jammed a long screwdriver in to hold things and it worked fine. He had also used strong zip ties to hold it.

Like I said, I'm groin to bust someting. The clutch removal tool isn't strong enough and bent like a pretzel and I jamed a wrench in the basket fins which broke a fin. I put a torque multiplier / pipe on the new 29mm socket from Sears and said WTF. I think the fin broke at the same moment the nut came loose. So now I will buy a new basket, seen a couple on ebay.
The problem is the #4 gear on the starter which seem to be about 40% missing. Also a broken flat washer. Now just find some money on Friday and order some parts and see if I can get all this back together.
Thanks for all the help.

I think that washer behind the clutch nut is saposed to be two peices it goes under another washer type thing if we are talking about the same washer not really sure though

I have found torque multipliers often break things. The impact wrench, electric or air, works better.
At the top of the page click tech, scroll down to "Shop Tools: Homemade and Unique"
Many interesting tools. Several for holding the clutch hub.
There is one place where a split washer is used. It's on the starter gears behind the clutch. It goes inside the cup shaped washer behind the circlip that holds the gears on the shaft. clymer book page 86, part 7.

Last edited:
This pic shows my $50 worth of Torque Multipliers leaning against what some guys on ebay would call $400 worth of parts.

bikepics-2134856-800.jpg

We have a 2" id 3 foot long one made of some kind of composite where I work. It was on a anhydrous tanker trailer ....that rolled on its side and the tank ripped open. Luckily the tank didnt explode. The tubing survived it too. it weighs less than 3 pounds. We call it the bulletproof death cheater pipe. Now I have to add torque multiplier in there somehow, lol.

Back