Repairing the clutch cover.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After the failed hydraulic clutch foray I had to repair the clutch cover and return it to original. In fitting the hydraulic slave I bored the hole for the actuator from 26 to 29 mm and the mounting screw holes, which were originally tapped M5 were drilled out to take a 6mm allen head and the outside cover machined to take the M6 allen heads.

So, to repair everything I'd done, I machined up a couple,of stainless, 6mm T nuts with an internal M5 thread and pressed them into place. For the screw acuator I machined up a Delrin ring that is a press fit over the screw acuator with a 29mm outer diameter.

All went well, and if I ever do manage to find some seals for the 9.5mm master (doubtful) I need only punch out the stainless inserts and remove the Delrin ring.

Machining up stuff as small as the stainless T nuts is great fun. You have to be very careful tapping a 6mm stainless tube with a M5 internal thread

Attachments

• WIN_20240305_13_50_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240305_13_50_35_Pro.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 41
  • WIN_20240305_13_51_36_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240305_13_51_36_Pro.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 32
  • WIN_20240305_14_46_16_Scan.jpg
    WIN_20240305_14_46_16_Scan.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 30
  • WIN_20240305_14_49_03_Scan.jpg
    WIN_20240305_14_49_03_Scan.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 34
  • WIN_20240305_14_51_18_Scan.jpg
    WIN_20240305_14_51_18_Scan.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 33
After the failed hydraulic clutch foray I had to repair the clutch cover and return it to original. In fitting the hydraulic slave I bored the hole for the actuator from 26 to 29 mm and the mounting screw holes, which were originally tapped M5 were drilled out to take a 6mm allen head and the outside cover machined to take the M6 allen heads.

So, to repair everything I'd done, I machined up a couple,of stainless, 6mm T nuts with an internal M5 thread and pressed them into place. For the screw acuator I machined up a Delrin ring that is a press fit over the screw acuator with a 29mm outer diameter.

All went well, and if I ever do manage to find some seals for the 9.5mm master (doubtful) I need only punch out the stainless inserts and remove the Delrin ring.

Machining up stuff as small as the stainless T nuts is great fun. You have to be very careful tapping a 6mm stainless tube with a M5 internal thread
As always, nicely done!

looks nice, however curious about the hydraulic failure - was it a self made kit or one of the aftermarket that you can buy online ? and what happened ?

I bought a 9.5mm master to go with a 25mm slave I made. Didn't work, slave piston only moved 1mm. So I made a 20 mm slave which should have worked well. However, the master I bought was falsely advertised as needing mineral oil, so that's what I used. When I pulled it apart I found the seals had swelled up considerably.

I'm sure you know what happens to brake rubbers when in contact with petrol and petroleum derivatives. Anyway I couldn't find a repair kit for the master, so, I now have two useless slaves.

I did post both slave builds on this forum not that long ago. Do a search for the details.

HAhahahahah, jokes on me. I just had a look at the master cylinder. Printed on top,is 'use brake fluid'. Bloody Chinese, ad said to use mineral oil. Aaaaargh.

But I won't bother doing it again, repair kits aren't available for the Chinese masters and I'm not forking out for a Magura or Brembo. This was meant to be a budget build, hahahahaha.

Perhaps I'll just concentrate of criticising other's builds, I have been told I'm good at that!

Back