Clutch operates... but doesn't work

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
The TL;DR (too long; didn't read) summary:
Clutch operates correctly all the way to the plates, which separate as they should, yet rear tire isn't getting that clutch lovin' and tranny stays engaged.

____
The literate version;

Hi all,
Let me introduce myself, name's Xander, from central VT. Just bought a couple of XSs. Both 1980s, one Special and one regular. Been a fan for a while, but would have bought one long ago if I'd known there was this kind of fan base, you guys have seriously redesigned these into some mean machines.

Anyway, I've been putting together the Special (it was partially disassembled by some jamoke who couldn't get his bobber project off the ground) and the clutch has been stuck. I assumed the plates were rusty or some such thing, the bike sat for 2 years, so I didn't think too much of it. Now I'm starting to tear into it and finding peculiar things.

I took a look at the worm gear and found that the ball bearing had slipped out. So I put that back in optimistically, but it didn't fix the issue. Next I pull the right side cover and find that the clutch is operating smoothly and the plates aren't stuck! Yet when I pull the lever while the bike is in gear the rear tire isn't free.

Before I really tear into the clutch I thought I'd pick the collective brain of the forum. Is this a simple fix?

After shifting my frustration to this message board, I went back out and showed it some loving. After wiggling various little metal bits and pieces and shoving a screwdriver in places that are illegal in 32 states (33 now, Arkansas folded) she heaved a spluttering cough and came back to life. Still not perfect, but if it didn't require any adjustment it'd be magic or a BMW or something.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Quite often the rear tire won't turn well when the clutch lever is pulled in. This is most notable when up on the center stand, the engine off in gear you pull the clutch and try to spin the wheel. Even when properly adjusted there can be enough drag in the clutch to make the rear wheel hard to turn this way.
When the bike is being ridden the clutch is fine. With the engine running the clutch opens enough to shift ok and not try to drag around when you stop.

Well, like XSLeo said, I took it off the center stand and played around in the plates some more. I think it still needs adjustment, but it's ridable.

Which is good, cause due to unfortunate circumstances it looks like my shake down ride will have to be a 9 hour round trip from Albany to Boston and then back home!

Back