Clutch springs

jussumguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to replace my clutch springs on my 1983 XS 650. I don't want to end up with a super heavy clutch lever pull. What should I get, where should I go, are the ones mikes sells adequate? My engine is all origional with about 25,000 miles. I ride with a few other similar 650s in an aggressive but responsible pace and as things heat up my clutch goes away. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rich

Posted via Mobile

I have mikexs springs in my clutch, bored to 680 cc's.
The lever pull isn't bad. lever pull can be effected by frayed cable, kinks, or too tight of bends in the cable, improperly adjusted clutch, or needing grease in the clutch push worm.
Mine works great.

The stock springs were around a 50 lbs. As they age and set compressed they may be down to 45 or even 40 lbs. I replaced mine on my 75 with a 750 kit with a set of 70 lb. NOS Kibble white springs.
I have done a few things to the clutch. Mostly clean up and remove burrs. With these springs, a well lubed cable and worm mechanism, proper adjustment and as few bends as possible, it has a two finger clutch. It's a bit tough with two fingers but it can be pulled. This clutch set up is not the easiest thing to use. I have pulled the clutch lever on many bikes. Most of the bikes from the same time period and same cc's pulled about the same. The 74 Kawasaki H1 500 I had It took both hands to pull the clutch when I first started riding it. My hands got stronger after awhile.
Most new bikes, last 10 years or so, have gotten much easier to use. Some don't feel like they are hooked to anything.
On cable lube the spray can stuff you use with as clamp on device are not worth the effort to use. They don't lube well last long.
Use the motor oil/funnel method described in the repair manual. It takes time but works very well and lasts a good long time.
Leo

What I usually do when things get a little weak is buy a set of aftermarket springs, which are always too stiff, and then replace every other one. Very good results, just make sure the plates are in decent shape.

I have new friction plates ready to put in and I'm going to drill my spring holder screws out and put allens in but I read a post about the worn out springs so I want to get them before I pull it apart. After riding in the twistys for about 45 minutes I can't bump start it unless it's in 5th gear!
A friend put some super heavy springs in his and it's crazy hard to pull now. A happy medium would be great. Thanks for the help!
Rich

Back