XS1 Chop Clutch Help Needed - No Friction Zone/Weak Clutch

eazyrider

XS650 Enthusiast
Messages
85
Reaction score
66
Points
18
Location
Monterey, CA
Hey everyone I've got a clutch question on my XS1. Anyone run into the problem of having almost no friction zone and weak take-offs?

For background context: the engine had been sitting in some dudes garage since the early 2000s, he got it to start but he ended up pulling it not too long after because he burnt up all the electronics and the engine sat for years. After doing all the basics, I stuck it in my frame and got it running but the clutch was stuck. Kicked it into 5th, rocked it back and forth and got it freed up. For its first oil change I swapped out the springs for stronger EBCs, sanded the discs and plates, inspected their sizes(all in spec) and put it back together. After adjusting the clutch multiple times, the friction zone is almost nonexistant at a very short portion near the end of the levers travel. It doesn't matter how I adjust the worm or the perch screw, it'll stall almost immediately if I don't feather it and it will 100% die on any incline. I'm also using a later year sidecover and worm(ball still in it) due to the dude losing the original sidecover. Anyone run into this before or have any idea how to remedy it?

20231007_182049.jpg


Here's a pic of the bike in question I named "Thin Ice". Took it out today for the first time on a 50mi shakedown after getting a plate and title for it yesterday. Other than the weak clutch issue and new chain grease getting all over everything, it's much spicer than my 83 and I absolutely love it!
 
Last edited:
I’m curious as well as I’m experiencing similar conditions on a ‘72 motor.
 
I’m curious as well as I’m experiencing similar conditions on a ‘72 motor.
I took mine apart to find out that one of the damper springs had broken and rubber rings missing. I figured it wasn't in very good health so I ended up swapping it out with one from my spare 80s engines while I take the time to look over the old clutch. The only thing I could find out of spec was my 1 piece pushrod was about 1.5mm too far into the case, should've been 1-15/16" which leads me to believe it was missing a washer or it needed the rubber rings and wasn't making a thick enough stack. Has anyone been in yours before? You might try removing your plates/discs and swapping em for thinner later ones or do what I did and take the whole thing out. It was extremely easy.
20231008_095449.jpg


Here's the plates I took out of what I thought was the junk engine but it's internals were almost spotless with different plates and little to no wear. Works amazingly now and hauls ass. Anyone have any idea what plates these are?

20231008_102224.jpg
 
I must confess I have not pulled mine apart yet. I remember this engine not having an easy clutch and not much friction zone but after having a couple in between first build of this bike and second build I know what it’s supposed to feel like, plus not having been inside the motor in several years what I find may very well be self inflicted.
 
Is it a 1 or 2 piece clutch rod?
It's a one-piece
I must confess I have not pulled mine apart yet. I remember this engine not having an easy clutch and not much friction zone but after having a couple in between first build of this bike and second build I know what it’s supposed to feel like, plus not having been inside the motor in several years what I find may very well be self inflicted.
I know what you mean. My 83 in my profile pic takes off from standstill with little to no throttle and I can find neutral easily but this XS1s clutch was an absolute slug. The only good thing I had to say about it was that it would allow me to chirp the tire at speed when I got on it during upshifts. I had to rev it to the moon at stops to get it to stay alive, especially up an incline. Nearly stalled it a few times on the way back home
 
I freshened the top end of my ‘83 not long ago. I had a slipping clutch when all said and done. My hypothesis is that my use of STP as assembly lube could be the culprit. I also had installed new EBC springs. What fixed mine was new friction plates. I went with the 7 plate Alto modification.

One of our members posted a video on YouTube about proper clutch basket installation. It’s linked here somewhere, and I’m sorry I don’t have the link saved.

As an aside, I use the two-piece push rod. No issues.
 
I freshened the top end of my ‘83 not long ago. I had a slipping clutch when all said and done. My hypothesis is that my use of STP as assembly lube could be the culprit. I also had installed new EBC springs. What fixed mine was new friction plates. I went with the 7 plate Alto modification.

One of our members posted a video on YouTube about proper clutch basket installation. It’s linked here somewhere, and I’m sorry I don’t have the link saved.

As an aside, I use the two-piece push rod. No issues.
I was thinking it could possibly be the plates as well, they're originals and the previous owner didnt take care of this engine at all so the clutch would definitely benefit from new plates. I've got the XS1 clutch in my 81 engine now so I'm going to revisit it here soon once I get another frame for a third chop
 
Back
Top