about to lose my mind....clutch slipping - maybe

aaronrkelly

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
1979 XS650....hardtailed by previous owner. Bought the bike and rode it probably 300 or so miles no problems.

Doing some "routine maintenance" I found a chunk of the 5th gear dog in the bottom of the oil pan.....and it had low compression so during winter I tore the motor down.

new top end
new 5th gear and 5th gear over drive from Mikes

put it back together

The problem is going down the highway it ocassionaly acts like the cluch just "lets go".

The motors revs
bike looses momentum

Its not a "little" slip.....it acts just as if you pulled in the clutch.

If you let out of the throttle a little bit it goes back to a-ok. Then you can hammer back on it and no problems.

I had it happen 3 times in 200 miles......2 times in 50 miles x 2. Its consistent but random. Happened at 52......happened at 65. Happened under load (going uphill in the wind)......happens going down hill. You cant MAKE it happen.....IE lug the shit out of it....no problems......blast down the highway at 85 wound to hell....no problems.

1st - I replaced the clutch friction disks with Vesrah units and put new Vesrah heavy duty clutch springs in. Some of the friction disks had uneven wear. Springs - likely worn out but I didnt test them.

.......no change

2nd - I replaced the steels with units from Mikes (EMGO units). The old ones looked fine but man, somethings got improve. Also swapped out the Vesrah heavy duty clutch springs (13% stronger then stock according to 650 Central) for Barnett heavy duty springs (49% stronger then stock). I also replaced the two piece clutch rod with a one piece clutch rod. The ball is in the motor side.....and one is on the clutch cover side.

.......no change

Its got a new Motion Pro cable. Ive followed the adustment procedure (1/4 turn out on worm after it touched - slack at the perch on the bars). Ive got no idea what the PO ran for oil....but Im using Rotella T.

In fact Ive adjusted the clutch so slack just to diagnose, that with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in.....it will "creep" a bit. Took it out.....still a problem.

I like a challenge....but damn.

NOW.....Im a BIG Rotella T fan.....Ive got 7 road bikes......4 atvs........3 dirt bikes - they ALL use Rotella T - never had a problem.

Just for giggles its out draining now - going to try some real MC oil - Valvoline 20w50.....but I really dont expect it to change anything - just checking stuff off the list.

Ive thought several times.....self.....you changed 5th gear......it was fine before and it aint fine now. Im no engineer.....but I just cant see how that would affect this. It does NOT jump out of gear. I could see IF the bike was coming out of 5th into a false neutral or something but it doesnt. Ive never had to touch the shifter - just let off the throttle a titch and shes back in business.

Im a big guy.....6ft4in and 340 lbs....but again, dont see how that should be a problem.

Any other info - just ask.

Im REALLY getting turned off on this bike....its not impressing me.

Runs great.....starts 1st kick......idles perfect......doesnt leak........just this one problem.....if I could get it fixed Id be thrilled shitless.

My mechanic (a friend of mine) works on old Jap bikes for a living - 5 days a week.....for 20 years. We are at a loss.

He has a XS650 setting over there stock.....Im thinking about swapping out the clutch baskets and seeing if THAT makes a difference....but again, everything looks great.

Did you index the clutch?

Attachments

• ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 348
I would look at the adjuster to make sure the adjustment is right and fully releasing. Clean and lubed. You are not geared with an 18 and 30 are you. 17 and 34 might help.

Mindlosing - My neck of the woods!

My money's on that 5th gear.
Rounded dogs/cogs plus missing/wrong shaft spacing washers can make that gear float in-out.

are we talking about this happening only in 5th gear ? or does it occur in other gears also ? sorry if I missed something in your thread.

if its only in 5th gear I should have thought it unlikely to be your clutch or clutch adjustment at fault or I would expect it to effect all gears particularly low gears and when under load, acceleration and hills etc

Well, follow this logic.
When we overhauled transmissions, always checked dogs/cogs for wear/pounding/rounding. If rounding was found for a particular gear, that gear was propably abused, like from unsync`d upshift during street racing. If you imagine, in slow motion, the shift fork slides a gear over, the dog starts to enter the cog (hole), load comes before full entry, corner of dog strikes corner of cog, forcing gear to want to slide back, but shift fork is continuing to try to slide it in. Shift fork loses battle, bends ever so slightly, maybe next time dog/cog align they may slip in, maybe not, shift fork may bend more...

Anyway, when rebuilding, we always cycled trans thru all gears on the bench, ensuring fork holds gear at midpoint/clearance, then for full engagement. Always checked forks for straightness, and signs of excessive/uneven wear on sides, ditto for the gear/slot the fork fits in, no slop wanted. In some 3-year old post, jack mentioned the notoriously weak 5th gear dog, that could break in one of these street-race scenarios.

You mentioned replacing a broken (cog) 5th gear, no mention of the fork or adjacent cog, which could still be bent and rounded. Normally, you could probably get away with just replacing the dog/gear, but NOW, if you consider the possibility of a missing/misplaced spacing washer, or simple stack-up thickness reduction, the potential for clearance to allow gear float and questionable engagement can happen.

(*whew*)

Yeah....no change with the oil - figured that (actually hoped, since I love Rotella).

I can definitely see we are going back into this thing - with TwoMany's advice clearly guiding the way. I wasnt there when the 5th gear got swapped......my buddy did it. He said it looked fine.....but Im quite sure he didnt look THAT close.

Hopefully it comes apart quicker since we've done it once before.

Im eye balling transmission parts on eBay.....seems about a $100 bucks, give or take $20.....gets me both shafts full of gears and shift dogs - so it aint the end of the world.

......but man its frustrating.

We took it back apart again ..... the gear the 5th gear dogs mate with (3rd gear maybe??) looked a little worse for wear.

It definitely should have been replaced but was overlooked. Now is THAT the problem - eh, well have to put her back together to see.

Shift forks looked good - all the other gears looked good.

I bought a complete set of gears and shaft out of a known good transmission with 13K miles on it. Were going to put it together with these parts and see what happens.

If I even suspect its possible that the Mikes 5th gear is going to cause me troubles - thats sumbitch isnt going back in.

Wish me luck - I wanna wail on this bitch without it wailing back just once.

Hey Aaron, just make sure you bench cycle the trans thru all gears. Watch fork movement, full engagement, centered disengagement, binding, slop, spacing. Triple-check all circlips and spacing washers. Good luck...

might be worth checking that the split pin on the centre fork selector isn't binding with the adjacent fork when shifting into fifth.

Mine was after a recent rebuild so I squashed the split pin head flat so that there was more clearance issues.

Attachments

• selector fork splitpin binding mini.jpg
    selector fork splitpin binding mini.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 324
  • selector fork splitpin altered mini.jpg
    selector fork splitpin altered mini.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 305
Back