Clutch woes

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This has been covered several times on the forum but I am confused still.

My clutch is having problems. No matter how I adjust the clutch adjustment screw (the thing pushes against the clutch pushrod) the bike will not easily roll with the lever held tight while in gear.

For the clutch adjustment screw am I supposed to tighten it as FAR as possible before then backing it out 1/8 of a turn. From my experience, if I screw it in until I hit resistance I can then screw it in ever further until it feels seated. Should it be seated?

I drained the oil out of my bike tonight because it needs an oil change, so if there is anything on the clutch pack that I should check it would be best to do it now.

Best,
Adam

It's normal to be harder to push with the clutch in than in neutral. Of course it's a matter of degree, and we can't know exactly what you've got there. How does it ride?

For adjustment, it should just touch it, and then back it out. The idea is to have just a bit of daylight in the linkage. Or no pressure at all on the clutch, and then a hair more out than no pressure.

Sometimes the plastic worm gear is cracked and causes problems like not enough throw to the clutch. You can take it off the cover and take it apart and pack it with water resistant grease. There's a nut that's hard to get off. I laid mine on an electric stove burner for a few minutes and then was able to get it apart without scarring anything up. A p.o. had screwed the metal part of the worm up trying to get it apart, so I touched that up with a file, in addition.

Ok. To be clear.

With the bike in first gear the clutch lever tight my bike creeps forward. So I believe it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Here is my plan of action, please give me your opinion.

1) confirm my clutch cable is properly lubed.
2) Check worm gear, repack with grease
3) Redo the adjustment

Finally, is there absolutely anything I should check on the clutch plates before putting oil back into my motor?

Best,
Adam

Finally, is there absolutely anything I should check on the clutch plates before putting oil back into my motor?

It woudn't hurt to make sure the hole in the pressure plate is lined up with the mark in the basket. Mine wasn't. Then while you're in there might as well see if the cush springs and the throwout bearing are okay. And if you have starter engagement problems, that would be a good time to address that. If you have mag wheels, just lay a hammer handle or something across the swing arm and you don't need a special tool to hold the clutch. Use a hammer and hand impact driver to get the pressure plate springs screws loose or you'll probably strip them.

Ok. Could any of the issues you described explain my clutch dragging issue?

What about my plan of action, could #1 or #2 be the cause?

Thanks,
Adam

^The hole not lined up with the mark can cause really weird dragging symptoms.

A cable needing lubed would just be hard to pull. a bad worm gear part could cause dragging by limiting how much throw you get from the lever movement; for example if the plastic part of the worm gear is cracked, pulling the lever can expand the crack instead of pushing the plates apart.

You don't say anything about the adjustment at the lever. When you do the adjustment at the case, the adjuster at the lever should be screwed all the way in. Then after the adjustment at the case screw the adjuster at the lever out to put the feeling of engagement where you want it to be.

Last edited:
Back