coil questions

chopitdropit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know flyboy just posted a similar question but didn't see my answer there. Also used search and tech. So here it goes:

'81 XS650, factory elecronic ignition, coil. Kick only...always starts first or second kick.

Rode all day yesterday with no problems to speak of.

Got up this morning and won't start. No spark to plugs.

I have 13.24v to coil and 11.2K ohms across secondarys. Tried a spare coil (origins unknown) and had my 13.24v and 12.6K 0hms across secondaries. This is through the coil and wires without caps.

Here is my question ... What should the reading be across the secondaries??? Is 11.2-12.6k ohms good? i.e. are these coils good?

ODD additional info..have no idea how it could be related, but after my ride yesterday, I had a kickstand problem and my bike fell over:doh:...only the handlebars hit..nothing major and no wiring to handlebars....just weird coincidence that problem started right after I guess....:shrug:

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

UPDATE...just walked back out, put the caps back on the wires, pulled plugs and checked for fire. I have fire out the ying yang now and bike started right up.

Again...:wtf:

Gone ridin.....:bike:

The shock from the bike falling over likely means you have an intermittant electrical fault, and it will return again!

If bike still has the original fuse panel (4 glass fuses), they are worn out and will cause problems such as you are having. Remove it and install automotive blade type fuse holders.................solder and heat shrink connections. A corroded kill switch is another possibility for loss of ignition.

Iagree with RG. I would go through the wiring looking for dirty connection, rubbed spots on the wires. Anything that might cause trouble.

Back