confirm starter fittment

KeithB

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking for confirmation that a starter motor from a '79 650 will fit an'80 650 Special.

I have an 80 (I think it's a Standard) parts bike, will it's starter work in my 75B? got the wierd sounds from the starter and not always engaged..

- in an elasticity stress strain curve the first major inflection point is yield strength-the stress at which material strain changes from elastic deformation to plastic deformation, causing permanent deformation-necking, the next major step is rupture
- when you attempt to restress the material in this spring by physically closing it, what you really do is crush it at a molecular level effectively reducing the yield strength and bringing the points at which the material necks and eventually ruptures forward
- at best this is a short term fix, the next time it fails it may just rupture leaving you with several pieces of hardened metal floating around among moving parts...the cost of a replacement is pretty cheap insurance :twocents::shrug:

I found just the clips on ebay for a couple bucks each. The next time I have the right cover off I'll put it on.

Back