Crank rubbing case question.

jtrip72

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

After assembling the cases together I noticed that the crank rubs the case ever so slightly. The case and crank are from two different bikes and the crank has been rephased. Is this something that will go away after break-in?

Thanks for any help.

Jason.

Attachments

• 20141201_171653.jpg
    20141201_171653.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 146
looks like the cam chain guide has been rubbing against it to me, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, the crank normally rubs against the outside when it spreads.

I would say that's not normal.
Ya might want to remove some of the aluminum if crank is in there correct
I wouldn't start it up if it was my engine.
it kinda looka like the crank is pushed to the left.
Is the sprocket in the center of the tunnel?

You'll need to get out your measuring device and check the distances of the assembly.

Possibly the crank was pressed to far together.

Good luck.

www.biker.net has manual where you can find the correct measurements for the crank

You don't have a choice!

When rebuilding always remember to double check everything.

Even the work of the so called professional.

With the spacing being uneven between the 2 middle flywheels, I would assume that the bearings may not be fully seated in their proper location.

The "Large" outer bearing, it has a snap ring on it. If that bearing hasn't been fully seated against the crank, with the shim behind it, with the large snap ring in place, and then the primary gears properly tightened up BEFORE installation, then the crank may not be aligned properly.

Let me know what you find, but I would check those things first.

Hugh

Also, the amount of space around the left middle bearing in the picture makes me believe that the crank may not be aligned properly in the crankcases. Just another thought.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be pulling the cases apart and trying to figure it out with the above suggestions. By the time I am finished with this bike maybe I'll be pretty good at working on them.

Jason.

With the spacing being uneven between the 2 middle flywheels, I would assume that the bearings may not be fully seated in their proper location.

The "Large" outer bearing, it has a snap ring on it. If that bearing hasn't been fully seated against the crank, with the shim behind it, with the large snap ring in place, and then the primary gears properly tightened up BEFORE installation, then the crank may not be aligned properly.

Let me know what you find, but I would check those things first.

Hugh

So an update on my crank rubbing issue...

As suggested above, I didn't have my primary gears installed. I placed in the crank, got the bearings lined up and seated and just figured the primary drive gear, drive gear, spring washer and such could go on later. My newbie mistake. Without these the crank will slide left to right almost 1/4 inch even after the cases are bolted together.

"Happy Dan" from Pandemonium choppers helped me out over the phone. We, and when I say we I mean he, figured it out.

So I believe I split the case again for nothing. I'll chalk it up to experience and I appreciate all the help. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

:shootme::banghead:

The real PLUS is you noticed it and did something about it before any damaged occurred.

Congrats!!!

Merry Christmas

Back