Fork piston question

spresser

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Fantastic forum you have here. Have been lurking a while whilst working on my 75 and all of the great info here has helped me heaps, thankyou for that.

Anyway whilst pulling my forks apart I've realised that this basket case of mine has clearly had many hands on it already, with some of the bits put together incorrectly. Including these pieces.
The circled spring retainer came out in several pieces. My question is, clearly the availability of these is going to slim to none. Are they needed?
What exactly does that spring and retainers do?

Many thanks in advance!

received_359595140190563.jpeg

I’d say that may be a goner as the parts list doesn’t show that as separate pieces.IMG_2805.jpeg

What I expect too see?
KIMG5682.JPG

Honestly don't recall having ever removed the snap ring.
see db's excellent answer!

Hi all. Fantastic forum you have here. Have been lurking a while whilst working on my 75 and all of the great info here has helped me heaps, thankyou for that.

Anyway whilst pulling my forks apart I've realised that this basket case of mine has clearly had many hands on it already, with some of the bits put together incorrectly. Including these pieces.
The circled spring retainer came out in several pieces. My question is, clearly the availability of these is going to slim to none. Are they needed?
What exactly does that spring and retainers do?

Many thanks in advance!

View attachment 260637
Any half decent machine shop will be able to make a new one if that's all that's required.

Thanks for the replies and the posted images, I honestly cannot imagine that it does a lot except for keeping tension on the damper rod from bottoming out like a rebound spring.
Any thoughts on me just replacing these with springs and carefully considered sized washers or similar either side of the spring?

Back