Flummoxed! XS650SK Front Fork Alignment.

72384396483__425D054F-7DCA-4753-BFB3-6B34DE69AA4C.jpeg

I slowly dismantled this this piece by piece. I found nothing until I removed the lower clamp. The bottom isn't machined, so placing it on glass plate doesn't say anything. A straight edge inside the loop as per the video has me believing the lower clamp is indeed bent. Still double checking and digging about for another.

The other day I was lookin' at carpenters levels at Home Depot. Mine's so old it's hard to see the bubbles. Anyway....
Every damn one of 'em had a slight twist in the frame. Jus' sayin'.....
For carpentry work I still use my Dads old spirit levels (and other tools), they are decades old but accurate and reliable. I have a few various modern levels but for accuracy dads do the job. I fit expensive wardrobes and media wall systems (typically £10k+ for a 6 door robe) so precision is expected by the customer.

So, how did you figure it out? Just spinning the tube in the trees, or removed and rolled on a flat surface?

I prolly can come up with a straight one or make it so.
It's not hard to straighten them either.
And finally this conumdrum is put to bed! (we hope).
I have some Utubies about straightening there's a reference here somewhare.
We chucked it up in a lathe and measured them with a dial indicator. The left tube tube is out of limits.

Isn't this the bike that broke a rear shock more than once?
I'm 5 states away but: Think that bike has a bent frame.

Isn't this the bike that broke a rear shock more than once?
I'm 5 states away but: Think that bike has a bent frame.

or swingarm. Good shock would cause a twisting moment. A few hard bumps... and bent.

Back