Critic my wreck (I already know I messed up though)

gdcpony

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today one of my daughters, the oldest, worked her butt off for a prize. Her prize? A five mile bike ride on the back of my XS650. So she strapped on her helmet and leather chaps (my rule) with a long sleeve shirt. Me? I went against my usual chaps and leather jacket for the first time and just threw on my helmet with my shorts and T-shirt (mistake #1).

We went a usual route and I was just enjoying the end of a hard day (put in a garden, firewood, cart work, and a yard sale). I saw my next door neighbor's son along the bike trail and honked to him and waved (mistake #2). When I looked back up there was a groundhog in my path and I was too close to avoid it at the 45mph I was doing. So I think I barely clipped it, but recovering from that put me to the side of the road and a turn was coming.

From here it all happened fast, but it felt like forever. I tried to start leaning, but I felt a sliding (gravel near edge in the bike trail) and pulled the bike back straight. There was a grass field down off the side of the road there, and I thought I could make it down to it and stop there. My left peg caught in the bank though, and that turned the bike. I realized right then the bike was going down and hooked my daughter off the bike so she wouldn't be pinned under it (I am not sure it was the right thing to do). My doing so caused me to yank the bars and the front caught and flipped the bike to the other side without me on it. It stopped that way.

Total injuries: I have some rash on my left arm and leg from the grass. My right arm is bruised (go figure considering the damage done to that side of the bike). My daughter got away with a bump on her knee. She wasn't even shaken, just ticked that her ride was cut short. I was shaken up stripping her gear off and checking her over. I suffered more from that than the none so gentle care of my wife afterward.

I am still adding up the damage to the bike. Handlebars, levers, turn signals, right side muffler, and both sets of pegs so far. I might end up having to get rid of it with the wife in the mood she's in (understandable).

Man, as much of a bummer as that is, im glad your daughters alright! I dont have kids, and dont plan on them for a while but it must have been a natural reaction to get her out of harms way anyway possible. So in that outlook, much respect. But the bike, thats just a bummer, all over a dumb varmen! You should save that bike repair money and go buy a .22 and solve the neighborhoods rodent problem! hahaha wouldnt have that problem again! Best of luck rebuilding your bike, and glad to hear it wasnt as bad as it could have been. Ride long enough, and we all go down ha. Hopefully somewhere soft though.
-Cody

Critique your wreck? Well lesseee. It's okay to honk and wave, but if you're doing it at 45mph, don't take your eyes off the road. Regarding the little rodent, in MSF class they teach you to deal with an animal that size by doing nothing - just going right over it. Sounds cruel, but it has to be done... It would have saved the day for you.

Your daughter's reaction; she has nerves of steel. I like it. She didn't think about the wreck, just that the ride got cut short :)

I'd add learn to see gravel a mile ahead :) I'd also add that everything you have to do, you have to do ten times better with a passenger.

Thank you for sharing what happened today. I know I have made mistakes in judgment, and I'm sure others on this forum have also. Can only go forward with the lessons learned and improve. Get that bike fixed, ride it again.

I'm glad your daughter and you are alright. Things could have been so much worse.

just going right over it.
+1 for cats, coons, possums, skunks, snapping turtles and dogs.
Deer and cows on the road are another thing. What did the MSF class say about
those types xjwmx?

Last edited:
mistake 1...give your daughter the leather jacket!
2. Eyes on the road
3. Spat the rodent
4. Spot the gravel, if you had room just slow down before turning or stop

Kudos on hooking your daughter off the bike...how ever you did it it must of worked.

Mistake 5...telling your wife you wrecked with daughter on the back. Bribe your daughter and say you wrecked on your own. :) just kidding..well sort of.

I actually did ride over the g'hog (I think) If I'd have found it I would have eaten the dang thing for the trouble. I just reacted late and keeping the bike straight to ride over the expected "bump" took me out of line for the corner towards the edge the road. Again, my mistake there. The varmint was right at the point where I needed to be starting my lean. If I had kept my eyes on the road, I would have seen it come up onto the road, and reacted better.

Again shame on me for the shorts and no jacket. I wouldn't have had the rash with them on. I do wonder if tossing the child was the right thing. The only thing in my mind at the time was get her into the grass.

To MaKala's credit the brief flash I had of her rolling in the grass she had her arms tucked and chin down. I was watching her roll when I should have been trying to minimize the wreck I guess.

Oh and 'Kala still wants a bike for her first vehicle.

Sounds like you were going too fast... too much momentum and not enough room to brake/react.
I would say yes with the me looking away and finding an animal when I looked back. Under "normal" conditions the turn itself is not bad at all. I should have been looking forward not sideways.

Tomorrow I will post pics of the damage. I am hoping that $200 will get her back on the road. I might go get some pics of the area I wrecked in too. It was about 2 miles into our ride.

Hahahaha atta girl! Sounds like dads gonna have a riding buddy before too long!
Funny thing is that both of my daughters (the kids able to sit properly on the bike) love to ride with me. My wife is scared of it (hmm... I wonder why), but I had just gotten her on it a week ago for the first time and she enjoyed it too (a bit anyways).

Shit happens.... I'm glad you're both okay. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse!

Learn from your mistakes, fix the bike, and ride again... :bike:

How old is your daughter?

hahaha thats too good. Now you just have to break the wife in, once you do that she will be asking to hop on the back of it too. Thats pretty awesome, there is nothing like a family out on a ride, speaking as if the girls get there own bikes eventually. It is pretty darn impressive that shes not scared or nervous at all to saddle back up. But you cant quite blame the mrs', its a mothers instinct kicking in. ha just gonna have to ease her back into it.

The wife is still deciding on whether I am aloud to fix it, get another bike, or no bike at all. I am searching for cheap exhausts right now for my argument to keep it. I have to keep it cheap to fix.

By the way MaKala is 12. She gets to ride by virtues of being as tall as my wife (64").

By the way, her forum sig on an archery forum:

"If you can't pull my bow, don't waste my time.
If you can't out shoot me, don't bother asking me out.
If you can out shoot me, RUN! My dad is already aiming."

I have little to worry about from Travis. LOL. I know how you meant it (sound of round being chambered- JK).

Back