CX500 opinions?

That'd look like a bike with all that white, plastic crap removed.
There is a turbo version, unfortunately, the turbo versions have the plastic crap all over them.
Just a personal opinion but bikes need an engine, wheels, tank, seat and a frame to connect it all together, anything else and you're moving into car territory!

Last edited:
That'd look like a bike with all that white, plastic crap removed.
There is a turbo version, unfortunately, the turbo versions have the plastic crap all over them.
Just a personal opinion but bikes need an engine, wheels, tank, seat and a frame to connect it all together, anything else and you're moving into car territory!
Ever seen Honda's "Pacific Coast" model? Ugh...

1687193939533.png

Speaking of taste, I like PC's even if that ain't PC 'round here.
Was attracted to them when they were new, still am, always check the ads, should have bought a very nice one that popped up near me a couple years ago.
Yes I remember when they first came out...they were definitely a love it or hate it, polarizing design.

Horses for courses. When I was doing between 1000 and 2000 miles per week in all weathers, I tended to appreciate some protection, and nowadays while I enjoy the naked XS, I'm glad of the fairing on the GS during the winter.

Ever seen Honda's "Pacific Coast" model? Ugh...
My best friend rode one for years and loved it despite the ribbing he took for his "Powder Puff" and kept up with and surprised a lot of guys on the mountain roads of West Virginia.
That trunk would hold ice, beer and firewood for the rest of us knuckleheads on camping trips and the trunk even had drains to get rid of the water.
He now rides the snot out of a BMW F800GT, GB500 and XS1b.

Call me crazy, I’ve always liked the Pacific Coast. Thought long and hard about buying one, I rode one that was listed for sale on Craigslist and lightweight Goldwing was what sprung to mind. 😉

A fellow from Idaho ( friend of @cra-z1 ) pulled up in my driveway a while back on one of these. It was beautiful and anything but boring!
IMG_5852.jpeg

Call me crazy, I’ve always liked the Pacific Coast. Thought long and hard about buying one, I rode one that was listed for sale on Craigslist and lightweight Goldwing was what sprung to mind. 😉

A fellow from Idaho ( friend of @cra-z1 ) pulled up in my driveway a while back on one of these. It was beautiful and anything but boring!
View attachment 245576
Reading about these the other day. Apparently on a, roll on throttle from 60mph, they would leave a GS1100 in it's dust.............100hp 650.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cx650_turbo_81.html

For me an old Honda turbo, any old turbo really, would be No.

The original 500 initially had reliability problems with the cam-chain tensioner so Honda UK replaced them all. Back at that time, my university mate Dungbeetle had a summer job helping his mate who owned a Honda dealership just changing CX500 cam-chain tensioners. It was a total strip job - seat, tank, bodywork, rear wheel, shaft drive, s/arm, gearbox all had to come out. First one took 'em two days but they got better & quicker with practice.

But after that glitch they developed the boring-but-reliable reputation. As Ads sez, know as the Plastic Maggot and many were couriered to death. A very high mileage death. I've never ridden any version.

Back