Custom Rear Brake Pedal Woes

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Since you are all much wiser than I in the ways of the xs, I wanted to know if any of you had a thought on this: I'm running mikes 2-1 exhaust w/ a tapered muffler and am going to have to run a custom brake pedal on my hardtail because of clearance issues. I've been kicking around the following 2 ideas: IDEA 1) to take the old brake pedal and try to bend it somehow (or bring it to a machine shop and have them do it if I can't). IDEA 2) Get a length of steel stock, bend it (or have someone bend it if I can't) to the specs I need, cut off the both ends of the stock pedal (the part that attaches to the spline and the pedal itself) and weld them on to the ends (or more specifically have a friend do it because I know not the art of welding).

Any of you guys feel strongly one way or the other on these 2 ideas? Thanks.

Dave

it would be good to see a pic. 'Clearance' probs as far as over/under/to the side, or? What to do depends on how and where the muffler is interfering with the pedal. Sometimes you can change the final position of stock rear brake pedal by changing the pivot location. (cutting off previous location and welding on new one that positions the pedal better for your application)

I hear ya Emz, I'll post a pic this eve. Yes it's clearance issues. I'm kinda trying to avoid welding if possible as I can't weld and it's always expensive and a pain to get the whole bike over somewhere to weld something onto my frame lol. I can do it w a custom pedal, like I said, so I figured toting that around and having someone do it would be easier. I dunno. Maybe you're right. Hold on, pics to come.

i used hughs brake pivot, and had to cut/weld my pedal to get around my pipes. Welding isnt hard, especially MIG. The trick is finding some one to set up a machine for you.

Back