Cyber warfare

scabber

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
The worm that has a mind of its own. War and no shots fired and now unleashed it takes out what ever system it wants power grids, water systems trafic you name it. We unleashed it now what. Drop the big one see what happens. :D Heavy shit.

We hear about cyber attacks in the news but what we don't hear about is an attack on undersea cables. It seems this may be the biggest threat to worldwide communication and commerce. I'm glad rogue nations don't have subs, at least good ones.

Those cables are definitely vulnerable to attack but they are easily repaired (well, relatively speaking). It seems that around Vietnam, scrap thieves steal undersea cable on a fairly regular basis. Makes the scrap thieves around here look lazy. :laugh: http://lirneasia.net/2007/06/vietnams-submarine-cable-lost-and-found/

Also, the latest worm (called 'Flame') is not the first time Iran's computer systems have been sabotaged. The Stuxnet virus/worm ruined a bunch of centrifuges a while back, put a real kink in their nuclear fuel program. That's only the ones they have admitted to, there's no telling how many others have hit them. Stuxnet turned out to have been a collaboration between the US and Israel. Cool.

Iran I (CIA installs the Shaw), Iraq I (Kuwait), Iraq II, Afghanistan, and now this cyber opening gambit to Iran II.

All this (and more to come) will probably be lumped together as "the Oil Wars" by history.

Thanks for the article 1974. i had no idea the undersea cables were being disrupted at such a rate. The way I understood was that the cable was buried close to shore so it wasn't vulnerable and in the deeper areas, out in the ocean, the cable was relatively safe.

Tom

Back