Deals Gap

donald

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from putting my miata over the dragons tail .Went from there to Maggie Valley to find out Wheels in motion museum is closed tues and wed had to get back home .Hopefully next time in the area i will have a motorcycle to run the dragons tail

"Tail Of The Dragon" is truly an amazing experience. The first time we rode it (at the time didn't know it existed) we were with a group of Goldwingers 150+ bikes. We were so impressed we went back twice a year for the next 20 years.

I drove the "Dragon" a few years ago in a Chevy Z-28, I'd love to go back and do it again on a bike this time. Quite a few of the guys in my rider's group go every year.

A number of years ago we were at a Motorcycle Rally in Pigeon Forge. One this day a few of the BMW factory riders had been given the day off to ride the local roads. I just happened to be at the BMW tent when they returned from the Dragon (a side note, these were professional riders that travel with BMW all over the world). They were mostly speaking German, but I did overhear the following "Das ist de greatest road in de vorld" That says everything about the quality of the Dragon.
One time we had stopped at a really nice curve to watch other riders. This huge semi came up the hill, it had to stop, backup and go again to get through this particular curve.
If you ride a bike, you owe the bike a ride on the Dragon, at least once.

where is this Dragon that's speaked of?
The "Tail of the Dragon" is a part of US 129 south of Maryville Tennessee. The portion that is actually the Dragon starts at the lake and goes up the mountain for 11 miles. This 11 mile section contains 318 curves and ends at Deals Gap in North Carolina.

Fair warning, if you go to the Dragon, keep you speed legal south of Maryville. Resist the urge to "hurry up and get there". Tennessee State Troopers know this and are waiting. They're not unfair they just want you to ride safe. Other folks do use the road. I can't say this enough KEEP YOUR SPEED LEGAL south of Maryville. If you're with a group, ride smart, ride intelligent, respect the road. If you're a stunter wait until you get to Deals Gap! If you do it on the road, then you won't get to enjoy the Dragon.

Once you get done, come to Asheville and give me an excuse to take someone brewery hopping :)
Hugh, have you ever ridden NC State Rd 16. It goes sort of NE from just past Hickory on I40 to Marion VA and beyond. We've ridden the Marion VA to Wilkesboro NC section numerous times. Almost as good as the Dragon and way less traffic.

318 curves in 11 miles probably sounds like a lot to somebody from Nebraska....

318 curves in 11 miles probably sounds like a lot to somebody from Nebraska....
It is a lot, the Dragon is both challenging and intimidating, but most of all it's FUN. It requires TOTAL concentration. Let your mind wander and you can be across the center line, go over the side or both. It is very easy to set up for one curve and overcook the next one. Another, often overlooked, factor is endurance. To the novice the first couple of miles are wow, exciting, I can't believe this, Holy Cow, etc. The next few miles start to become work, arms begin to get tired, concentration slips etc. And for some, the last miles become "Oh my God this never ends". By all means go ride it, keeping in mind this road is way better than we will ever be.

Just got back from putting my miata over the dragons tail .Went from there to Maggie Valley to find out Wheels in motion museum is closed tues and wed had to get back home .Hopefully next time in the area i will have a motorcycle to run the dragons tail
One of our favorite rides is I75 to Knoxville, I40 to Pigeon Forge, Pigeon Forge to Townsend, Townsend to the "Foot Hills Parkway". The Foot Hills Parkway to 129, 129/Tail of the Dragon to Deals Gap, Deals Gap to Bryson City, Bryson City to Cherokee. Cherokee to the Blue Ridge or Cherokee to Maggie Valley to the Blue Ridge. Run the Blue Ridge north past Boone to where SR 16 crosses at Glendale Springs. SR 16 to Marion VA and then home. This is a 7 day ride and can be more depending on weather, side trips and stops along the way.

One of our favorite rides is I75 to Knoxville, I40 to Pigeon Forge, Pigeon Forge to Townsend, Townsend to the "Foot Hills Parkway". The Foot Hills Parkway to 129, 129/Tail of the Dragon to Deals Gap, Deals Gap to Bryson City, Bryson City to Cherokee. Cherokee to the Blue Ridge or Cherokee to Maggie Valley to the Blue Ridge. Run the Blue Ridge north past Boone to where SR 16 crosses at Glendale Springs. SR 16 to Marion VA and then home. This is a 7 day ride and can be more depending on weather, side trips and stops along the way.

I'll probably try it eventually, since I like that part of the country (in careful doses).

Over the holidays I took this little tour of my ancestral stomping grounds. Most of the second leg was just to get back. The first leg is about 50 mi of twisties. With nobody else on the road. At the very end I climbed what is called Pinnacle Mountain, a bunch of switchbacks where the elevation rises 1000 ft in 3 mi. You do that in 1st, sometimes close to full lock :) The map just shows the general course, not all of the curves.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 102
I'll probably try it eventually, since I like that part of the country (in careful doses).

Over the holidays I took this little tour of my ancestral stomping grounds. Most of the second leg was just to get back. The first leg is about 50 mi of twisties. With nobody else on the road. At the very end I climbed what is called Pinnacle Mountain, a bunch of switchbacks where the elevation rises 1000 ft in 3 mi. You do that in 1st, sometimes close to full lock :) The map just shows the general course, not all of the curves.
Middlesboro, have you been to the Airport to see "Glacier Girl" the WWII P-38 that was rescued from beneath the ice in Greenland? One of our group knew someone that knew someone that knew what days it was to fly. We made it day ride, the weather was great, Glacier Girl flew and on that day there was a second P-38. Seeing and hearing two P-38's in the air at the same time was a thrill.

^I've never gone to see the plane, but I followed the story in the newspaper of them finding it and bringing it back and restoring it as it occurred. You were only about a mile from the climb up to the pinnacle. It starts in the park.

That highway 421 that you see on the map comes at least as far north as Richmond. That would be a good way to get there next time :) At Cawood take 987 to 119 and on to Pineville, and 25 to Middlesborough and Cumberland Gap from there. 987 is upper blue line on the map.

Last edited:
Back