Decals under clearcoat

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt making a replacement aluminium fascia for my 650b. I want to spray it with a rattle can, ally the relevant decals then lacquer over them, I'd really like them not to protrude above the surface and wondered if I can use waterslide transfers? Laser etching might be another option I guess.

lacquer over them, I'd really like them not to protrude above the surface
Lacquer will be thinner than some clear options, and also is more likely than some to react with the decals. 2K clear is nice and thick, would test it on a decal

I've used Dupli-Color (enamel) clear over decals with good results. A few light coats 1st. Wait a week for color sanding though.

I'm going to attempt making a replacement aluminium fascia for my 650b. I want to spray it with a rattle can, ally the relevant decals then lacquer over them, I'd really like them not to protrude above the surface and wondered if I can use waterslide transfers? Laser etching might be another option I guess.
If you are trying to "Bury" the decal, it's just a matter of many coats, just not all at once. You can lay down 4-5 coats, let it set for a day or two, sand lightly with 1000 grit, repeat until desired finish is achieved. Do a test part first!

I would not lacquer over decals unless they are decals that are made for lacquer, The solvents used in lacquer are WAY hotter than the solvents used in other forms of clear and will cause other (non-lacquer) things to orange peel and do other weird stuff. So if you plan on using enamel color base and lacquer clear the lacquer will cause the enamel and possibly decals to orange peel. Normally you would use special water slide decals under lacquer as opposed to modern poly film decals.

Last edited:
What Jim said.

And I’d also say that your home printer probably can’t print dense enough color for it to look really good.

Might look ok, but just not super solid.

Probably…

Guitar headstock decals are specifically designed for use with acrylic and nitro lacquer, not sure what they're made of but that might give you some insight into what works and what doesn't. I've used Rothco & Frost decals on the guitars I've lacquered, they will print you just about anything you want.

Back