Double letter hi ways in Wisconsin

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Is it true as a rule if thumb the double lettered roads are a little more scenic, twisted, and or motor sickle inviting?
Do you ride the Wisconsin or Minnesota side of the river?

As a Michigander, I can't say anything about the double-lettered highways in WI, but in August 2011, after rounding the north shore of Lake Superior, I rode south out of Superior WI on US53 to Highway 25, then down Highway 35 along the east bank of the Mississippi River to LaCrosse, and then picked up Highway 33 heading east towards Reedsburg and the Dells. Like 35 coming down the river, Highway 33 is just drop-dead beautiful - rolling country, twist and turns, hilly in the Ontario - Wildcat Mt. State Park area - lightly traveled, small towns, what I'd call "heartland".

I don't know if I've noticed a pattern with double-lettered highways being better... There are highways that are both single and double letters that I like. Anything following a river is usually good.

Following the Mississippi on the Wisconsin side is beautiful with the river one side and big bluffs on the other. The Minnesota side is beautiful too. We like going down one side and back up the other.

I agree with Travis....hit both sides of the St.Croix River if possible....also, look up "old 65" north of a town called "Star Prairie" in St.Croix/Polk Counties. (Yes, it's borders are in both) There is a 10-15 mile stretch that will blow your mind! Don't go crazy on it unless you are riding with someone that will be able to call for help if needed. It intersects with HWY 8 (East/West across all of Wi.) if that happens to be in your route.

(I still can't believe after all these years, that stretch hasn't been tamed)
What say you Travis?

Thanks for the replies. We are going up 35 today for a ways. Travis, 76 is just as nice coming back down? We've enjoyed splashs of fall, the red sumac and persimmons with yellow ash, cotton wood and walnut but didn't really find fall till we crossed the Turkey river in Iowa. Topping the rise to go down into the bottoms just beautiful.
The one road we did find disappointing was a section of hi way 1 coming from Anamosa to Marquette. It was like fifteen miles of miniature speed bumps.
Did you know the National Motorcycle Museum only has two XS motors on display and they are both attached to the slat flat rocket with two motors joined. Some kawi's, Honda's and a half dozen Yamaha but only the one XS. It brought to mind the forum build idea that kicked around for awhile 2 years ago. It (the museum) would be the perfect recipient .

(I still can't believe after all these years, that stretch hasn't been tamed)
What say you Travis?

I haven't been on it in a while, but will never forget catching air on my R6 cresting one of those hills at over 100mph many years ago. :yikes:

The only thing that changed is they put new asphalt on it. so now its niiiiiiiice & smooth.

100 mph?...shit, there is one that turns as it crests that I got air on in our minivan at 65 mph last summer. (No, I wasn't trying, but both front tires chirped!):thumbsup:

Might be some truth to the double letter thing. The county names the roads with letters when they take over from the townships who originally maintained them. So the major roads got single letters as they took them over, The minor less important roads were taken over later when they ran out of single letters. but it's sure not a guarantee. IN Sauk county BD is a straight road from Baraboo to the Dells. County U in Columbia county is absolutely stunning right now and has lots of twists and turns. Around here the real gems are the township roads in the bluffs. Pigtail alley is a sweety as you might guess! We call the south shore road to Devils lake "snake road" worthwhile but not on fall weekends when it is bumper to bumper. Slimy Crud Sunday! Awesome back roads. Hard to go wrong anywhere from Baraboo west to the Mississippi. Color is peaking but the temps are going to drop now.

Well put Gary....

As I write this, the wind is howling in that "all to familiar way" that we get accustomed to for half the year.

I had a typo on that circle it was 35 on the east side and 26 on the west.
We ened up taking 35 out of Prairie Du Chien to just south of La Crosse then 61 back to
Debuque. Had a great time (even if the roads are tame ones) just fooling round watching the colors go by. Quite abit of 2 wheeled traffic out and about.
Got up this morning thinking about going to wave at a Canadian BUT by 8 the wind was out of the north and gray skies were coming in from west. By the time we stuffed the bike and got the rain suits on the first drops fell. 9:45 and I'm tireed of this sheeet already. Grabbed my balls and headed to the house. Rain on and off to Cedar Rapids.
Stepped in the door alittle after 8pm. Had a great time playing in your house. Next time I'll step off the main streets and take in some of those back roads.
The pics are some of yesterday, the view from the motel window this morning and coming home when the chickens go to bed.

Attachments

• DSCN0903.jpg
    DSCN0903.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0921.jpg
    DSCN0921.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0946.jpg
    DSCN0946.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN1010.jpg
    DSCN1010.jpg