drive chain

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
looking to get a new 530 drive chain just looking for a good dependable one non o-ring any brands particular? and where to buy? im also wanting to change from stock 34 tooth sprocket to a 32 tooth since that is what ive read is the better setup for highway crusing (mikes is out of 32's by the way) but im wondering if ill need a shorter chain since its gonna be a smaller sprocket my bike is hardtailed with 0 stretch but my chain now is on the second to last line on the chain adjusters in the rear? also if i end up getting too long of a chain can i just take links out of it to shorten to where i need to be? should i count the links and get the next size chain down? thanx guys in advance

Yeah, I went with the 18/30 sprockets when I ordered mine the other day. Haven't rode it yet. Still working on my new battery box.

Mine went down a few links. I just grinded the pin off and slid it out. Easy as pie.

well i counted today and i have 106 links witch is the reason why im at the second to last mark on the axle adjuster lines. so when i purchase a new chain and since im going with a smaller sprocket should i just get a 106 link just to be safe and cut what i dont need off or should i buy a 104 link chain and whats the difference between the hi tensile chains and the heavy duty chains on mikes? mikes has a reduced price on the hi tensile ones so wondering if its a deal or a crappy product thanx guys

good chain brands? tell me what i should buy? i want 530 dont know if i should o-ring or not and under 100 bucks any ideas? is clip type master link ok?

i think you may be looking into this too much. use anything you want. there are some horror stories of guys getting hurt and shit with the tractor supply co. chains, some guys swear by them. i wouldnt use them. i got some d.i.d., stretched some. orings supposed to last longer. but they may out last sprockets which doesnt make any since to buy because when you need new sprockets you should get new chain anyways.

sooooo, i would say buy whichever brand you want off of mikes, it will most likely suit you just fine. but, id go with 106 link. better to have to cut some then not have enough.

I use the Izumi chain that I got from Mike's. Seems to be pretty good quality. Sure got rid of a lot of slop in the drive train. Also put on new front and rear sprokets. Dave

Buy motorcycle chain. I can't give all specifics but I can guess at some differences between MC and industrial chain. Industrial chain just won't cut it.

The stock XS chain is an HD530 chain. I bought a JCW standard duty 530 chain for $14 on sale so that is what I used on my '77. I did an initial 'round the block ride to loosen up the chain grease and then did the first chain adjust. The chain hasn't been adjusted in the 500 miles since. That ain't bad! I'd buy an HD530 next time because it is stock but I'm not sure an XS650 needs the extra strength. I seem to get much better wear from my chains than other people because I'm rather (overly?) concerned about lubrication. I rarely put 100 miles on the chain before it is lubed.

XSJohn liked JCWhitney chain. I like JCW chain. It's a good deal too.

Tom

Try MMM at 650central, he lists a heap of chains and sprockets, and does a good price for a kit package. cheers

Posted via Mobile

That's the one I bought been running it a year now no probs so far I believe I got the heavy duty but not really sure

I run Parts Unlimited X-ring Chain (made by EK) on my SV650 and with a clean and lube every 400-500 miles, the chain and sprockets last around 20K miles. I replace both at once every time. Search for crock pot chain lube here on the forum, for those running without O-ring chains. Great Idea.

Back