drum to disc swap..

you should do something besides talk shit . i found the bike in a field and it hadnt been started since 1982 . got it running switched forks and swingarm oh i also made the mount for the brake res. that functions quite nice as well . not bad for a 1972 xs that has been converted to disc brakes and fucked up suspension according to YOU !!!

you should do something besides talk shit . i found the bike in a field and it hadnt been started since 1982 . got it running switched forks and swingarm oh i also made the mount for the brake res. that functions quite nice as well . not bad for a 1972 xs that has been converted to disc brakes and fucked up suspension according to YOU !!!
Ill take that as a compliment,heres a shot of one of the swingarms I extended 3"/converted to dual shock mounts built into the extensions and raised axle slot 1/2" to raise rear wheel up into fender while keeping swingarm level.
This was before it was welded/detailed of course,It is mounted on my turbocharged /no wheelie bar 1385 Kawasaki z1 than runs consistant 5.80s in the 1/8 mile on a greasey little track in glenwood iowa.
So do you want to tell me about frame/suspension work?:laugh::)

Attachments

• leehlahslash_001-94c065bf314a5f3981b140ec7c953be1.jpg
    leehlahslash_001-94c065bf314a5f3981b140ec7c953be1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 135
Ive built/wrenched on more street bikes in the last year alone than you will probably ride in youre lifetime.
And yes the rear suspension on a dragbike without struts and a bar plays a major part on how it goes down the track.
The back tire hooking up instead of going up in smoke is entirely dependent on weight transfer and how the rear suspension reacts,and yes I ride my bike close to 40 miles each way from Louisville ne to the track in glenwood.
And my suspension works really good.:D
Heres a shot of me back in 1979 at the grand old age of 14 on ol red,78 kz1000 with 13:1 1170 motor with a ported head/yosh cams and 29s.
Notice the shocks and lots of ground clearance?Yes that was a street bike.
The other shot is the same bike after 2nd build 81-82 with a few more mods and new red paint,notice the shocks?
Yep it was still a real fast street bike,and Its still sitting in the basement waiting for next build.
The blue bike is my 74 z1 after 1st quickie rebuild with 900 crank/13:1 1197 kit with really good cylinder head /.435 cams ,notice the shocks?yes it was a really fast,really good handling streetbike before it became a turbo/nitrous urban assault bike:)

Attachments

• young_plummen-8ced8652678233cda39c88bc8840e3ee.jpg
    young_plummen-8ced8652678233cda39c88bc8840e3ee.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 124
  • wireredvb7-a89328c62ec390c005aba7bee3cbcec2.jpg
    wireredvb7-a89328c62ec390c005aba7bee3cbcec2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 130
  • z1-0668a15e9d2f4eac12f2d0e9ca39dbb9.jpg
    z1-0668a15e9d2f4eac12f2d0e9ca39dbb9.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 124
I DONT CARE !!!!! I DIDNT ASK YOU ANYTHING !!!! I dont care that u race bikes, I dont care you work on bikes, and I really dont FUCKING care you where 14 in 1979 !!!!!!

Luke It sounds like you need a little less caffine. Almost every one who tried to help, you jumped in thier shit just because they don't see things your way.
Helping is a two way street. You need to learn more about what you have, then ask questions. If some one gives advice, except it as it was meant. Not give them attitude.
And swearing won't get much help.
Leo

Sorry about that.
Actually it was just my way of saying im not some total newbie who just started welding last week,and I actually have experience making bikes handle in corners also not just in a straight line.:)

i didnt ask zmaxmotorsports for any help. i posted this almost a year ago and some dude starts telling me what he thinks . this thread was about the brake swap not about his drag bike .

When you put something out on the web it never dies. So if it's 10 minutes , a year or ten years ago, someone can read it and add thier opinion, asked for or not.
Leo

i didnt ask zmaxmotorsports for any help. i posted this almost a year ago and some dude starts telling me what he thinks . this thread was about the brake swap not about his drag bike .

You resurrected your thread a month ago with and update and a pic. I was going to comment on the angle of the rear shocks and there effectiveness but with your general attitude i decided i wasn't going to put my self up for more of your lack of respect for opinions.

After your last comment above i decided to drop in an opinion. People are only trying to help you.
I agree with zmaxmotorsports about the angle of the rear shocks. For effective action they are next to no good and the stress is put on area of the shock where it attaches to the frame and swing-arm, and not the main shock shaft. This could also cause a failure of the shock in the mounting point region and result in an accident.

Your bike to do as you wish, but from a safety point if your wish leads to someones else s death then that is on you, especially if you have ignored good advice. Now that it is in the public domain and written about you have no defense.

Please think before you retaliate by flaming others opinion when they are trying to help you see where you could be going wrong.

Yes! your right. But he could have made a suggestion instead of just saying it was a bad idea and its not going to work . every time i have posted on here there is someone that make some kind of rude comment instead of being any real help !!!! i have 2 650s and a gsxr 750. I might know a little about bikes as well .... i asked for SUGGESTIONS on brake swap not on how to make some drag bike.

You posted that picture about a month before I noticed it,not a year.
I was just replying to what I saw in the picture you posted.
By all means carry on and build it the way you like,I wish you the best of luck however it ends up.:)

Back