Early forks into later frame

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just picked up some 34mm forks and tripple trees and want to fit them into my 81 model frame. Was wondering what bearings to order to make this fit? Anyone else done the same?

If you have the 74-76 triples then the bearings for the 74-83 triples will work. If you have the 70-73 triples then you will have to modify the stem to fit the frame. Other things to take into consideration as well but have no idea what you have or are working with.

One question would be why you'd want to put the 34mm forks on your later model frame at all? I understand if they're the only forks you have or can find for a good price, but 35mm would be the better choice, not only because they're 1mm bigger, but importantly for the availability of springs, cartridges, clipons etc.

Not sure what year they are so will take some measurements. And Tim it was a matter of thats all I've got at the moment, picked them up for next to nothing and thought I'd fit them up unless some 35's come up for cheap.

Some of the 34 mm forks use a stem in the lower tree that is too short for the later frames. the 70-73 forks use this shorter stem. The 74 up use the longer stem.
The short stem is about 8 1/4 inches from where the lower bear race set to the top of the stem. the longer stem is about 8 7/8 inch.
Your 81 needs the longer stem.
Leo

Back