XS650B front end onto XS1 frame ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As above
I suspect that the neck is shorter on the XS1 frame (I read that somewhere) so it's probably not going to be a straightforward swap.
I think that the fork tubes are the same at 34mm, but are they the same spacing apart ?
Could I use a XS1 lower yoke with the 650B upper one ?
I really don't have much idea of what fits what on the early bikes

I'm not sure about the Triple tree width differences between the XS1 and XSB. If there is a difference mixing the XSB crown with the XS1 Tree, will cause the tubes to slope in. This cold cause the forks to bind.

If you want to use the XSB front end, the stem from the XS1 triple can be pressed out and welded into the XSB triple. Quite simple and any shop could do it reasonably cheap if you cant do it yourself.

Yes simplest would be spacers, best would changing the stem for the correct length (I've done a few)
You can't mix early, late triple parts, widths, offsets got changed several times till everything stabilized in 74, after that the only dimensional change was to 35mm in 77. Gauge etc top triple brackets kept changing.
PS later "smaller offset" triples will have the fork tubes hit the early gas tanks at full turn.

Thanks for that both !
I'm a welder by trade so getting the stem swapped over shouldn't be difficult.
I think there's a hydraulic press at work somewhere.
I wasn't aware of the problem with hitting the gas tank with the later set up, but nothing that a little weld on the lock stops can't cure.

Heads up; if you are going to the work of a front end swap 74-76 forks wouldn't be MY choice...................

Yes, I can see the logic in that.
Why not fit something else altogether better ?
But for me it would have to be something that looked like it belonged on a 1970's motorcycle.
I'm also thinking that if the offset on the replacement front end is smaller than the original, the trail dimension will be altered

Not everyone's cup O tee
fita.jpg
but these are pretty darned good forks can be had reasonable if you're patient and still look fairly "old school".

Back