Electric fuel pump source - question

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I'm stepping outside the boXS. Looking for an aftermarket electric fuel pump for my Honda Shadow. Has anyone had experience in using inexpensive substiute aftermarket pumps instead of OEM replacements on bikes that require an electric fuel pump?

Let me conclude by saying how much more I love my XS after working this Shadow. Electric fuel pump, radiator, cooling fan, thermostat - too complicated.

I'm asking here 'cause I know many of you have or have had other bikes than XS650's

Didn't know the shadow had a electric fuel pump. Where is your fuel tank located. I've got a 2008 shadow and it's got a vacuum operated petcock.

I have a 2003 Suzi marauder, and that fuel pump is -+200$!!!
It is a double carbed v-twin, and the front carb is higher than the rear, so it needs a pump to get to the front bowl. Is that how yours is RJ?
I am super interested in what you find, but I had been thinking about that problem for a while.
What I was thinking of doing when my pump goes out, buy a 12 volt fuel pump for a carb (make sure you don't get a FI one, too much pressure) than get a fuel regulator, and try to find the correct pressur, without overfilling the bowls.
Ive already noticed how much pressure my pump pushes, but don't know the psi.
Hope these Ideas help.
Two different bikes, with possible the same system . good luck.

Seems to me you might be able to find a fairly compact pump for an import car that can be adapted to work. You'd probably have to use an FPR, but they're not all that expensive.

The one on my 2.3L turbo Volvo is about the size of a soda can -- too big.

Angus,

Yes dual carbs, they are the same height left and right of eachother. The fuel pump is needed because there is a aux. tank below the seat. Strange themain tank flows to this other tank. Honda's pump is $128.00 discounted from $168.00 I'm going to sell this bike and don't want to put any more maoney than necesary. IF I was keeping it I'd buy anew one ASAP. I'm told by the folks at the Shadow forum 2-3 psi.

Cooltouch,

Yes the stock pump is about the same size. There are a few on eBay, but I'd hate to buy an old pump that may fail as mine did and leave the next owner stranded.

Well since you're selling it and its a used bike, if it were mine, I'd go with a used pump and then let the new owner know about it. Used bike with a used pump. I don't see a problem. Besides you might be able to pick up a used one on fleabay that came out of a low mileage bike anyway. Or if you would rather go with a new pump, just add its price into your asking price.

Used on flea bay is the way to go there are pretty much two types carburated and fuel injection the pressure is higher on the fuel injection ones normally $25 to $40 for a decent working pump. I have bought 4 or 5 and will be looking for one myself this week for a KZ1300 (They never run right till you add a fuel pump) I look at all of them not just the one for the bike you have if the pictures are decent you can normally tell if it will fit your ap.

....Let me conclude by saying how much more I love my XS after working this Shadow. Electric fuel pump, radiator, cooling fan, thermostat - too complicated. ....

Yes but they run forever and ride great, which makes up for them not being as easy to work on :)

Back