Electrical nightmare

Kingpaul

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wired my 1981 xs650 up last week, struggled some but finally got a spark, even though I had a 4.8 ohm coil. Then I went in to town and left my battery on charge and when I came back from town my coil was completly fried,

So I ordered another coil. (This time the right one) a 2.8 ohm Andrews coil,
And after double checking my wiring was correct I have hooked up the new coil and not one bit of a spark.

Where do I go from here? There is only 2 other components and that's the reg/ rectifier and the TCI igniter box..

Is there anything else I should check or do? I'm trying to figure out where to go from here..

Thanks

Also, if anyone can help,

I have very helpful post on another xs650 forum.. About fixing a little transistor, the transistor on my TCI appears bad, could that transistor be the whole cause of the no spark? Or is that not enough of a problem?

The transistor is the switch that opens and closes the coil circuit so yeah that will do it.

The stock ignition has several parts, The coil, a TCI box and the pick ups on the stator.
A bunch of wire to connect all these parts.
Notice how the reg/rec wasn't on the list? That because the reg/rec is part of the charging system, not the ignition system.
There are a few things people have changed inside the TCI box. Some have had luck with changing the transistor, others not so much. Some have had luck changing some diodes.
A bit of searching on TCI fixes Or igniter fixes may find what you need.
Leo

Back