Electrical updates for reduced space

Xios

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am working on my first chopper/bobber build, a 1972 XS650 Electric, and beginning the planning of the electrical system. I am staying old school, running with the original Stator/Generator and points. The frame is modified for a drop seat. So, I have a little less room for the battery etc. I plan to use a Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 battery (L4.45” x W2.28” x H3.5”). Beyond that, I could use some recommendations on the components, namely: Regulator/Rectifier, 2-lead coil, condencers, starter relay/solenoid, etc. I’m not looking to build for top performance or spend a ton of $$. Just want to use good quality stuff that is fit for purpose. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx

I'm working on rebuilding a chopper/bobber 1980 XS650 gutting everything and putting in updated wiring myself. Unfortunately, I'm just starting and just learning as I go off Youtube vids of other types of bikes. I'm putting on a new LED headlight/tail lights and would like to replace the carbs with something better designed like slide carbs which give better performance.

I am working on my first chopper/bobber build, a 1972 XS650 Electric, and beginning the planning of the electrical system. I am staying old school, running with the original Stator/Generator and points. The frame is modified for a drop seat. So, I have a little less room for the battery etc. I plan to use a Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 battery (L4.45” x W2.28” x H3.5”). Beyond that, I could use some recommendations on the components, namely: Regulator/Rectifier, 2-lead coil, condencers, starter relay/solenoid, etc. I’m not looking to build for top performance or spend a ton of $$. Just want to use good quality stuff that is fit for purpose. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx
The Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 is a good choice. I have them in both of my trackers and they have plenty of power to spin a fresh 750 kit motor. You should use a Rec/Reg that has the proper charge rate for a lithium battery. Ricks and RM Stator both make them. Sounds like your stuffing a lot of stuff in a small area. Here`s one I finished up. Everything in the box but the Rec/Reg, its mounted n the outside to cool better. Good luck with your build.
DSCN0188-001.JPGDSCN0190-001.JPG

The Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 is a good choice. I have them in both of my trackers and they have plenty of power to spin a fresh 750 kit motor. You should use a Rec/Reg that has the proper charge rate for a lithium battery. Ricks and RM Stator both make them. Sounds like your stuffing a lot of stuff in a small area. Here`s one I finished up. Everything in the box but the Rec/Reg, its mounted n the outside to cool better. Good luck with your build.
View attachment 246242View attachment 246243
That's very nice work. I agree that the Rec/Reg should be out in the wind. I already picked up a Rec/Reg from Mike's XS that plugs into the stock harness. I have no idea if it works with Lithium batteries or not. But I have my suspicions. Fortunately I can still return it. I looked on Ricks and RM. There are several options. Do you have any recommendation that work without breaking the bank? Also, will I need a different type of condenser or starter relay/solenoid? I really appreciate your comments. Thanks

That's very nice work. I agree that the Rec/Reg should be out in the wind. I already picked up a Rec/Reg from Mike's XS that plugs into the stock harness. I have no idea if it works with Lithium batteries or not. But I have my suspicions. Fortunately I can still return it. I looked on Ricks and RM. There are several options. Do you have any recommendation that work without breaking the bank? Also, will I need a different type of condenser or starter relay/solenoid? I really appreciate your comments. Thanks

View attachment 246242View attachment 246243
Your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation to contact Ricks. They really helped me out and things are coming together. Been out the last few months doing remodeling with my son. So the bike project was resting for a bit. Now that I am back into the wiring updates, I'm good to go with the reg/rec, new starter relay, new flasher relay and battery. Now I am looking to replace the 30A Charging System Generator Relay with a much smaller, solid state unit. It is simply noted as "Safety Relay" on the schematic. I know a lot of folks just eliminate the starter, go strictly kicker and forgo the relay altogether. But I am keeping the original starter, so I may as well do my pest to protect it. Hopefully I can find a good alternative for under $20.00. I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Safety Relay Pic.jpg
    Safety Relay Pic.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
Your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation to contact Ricks. They really helped me out and things are coming together. Been out the last few months doing remodeling with my son. So the bike project was resting for a bit. Now that I am back into the wiring updates, I'm good to go with the reg/rec, new starter relay, new flasher relay and battery. Now I am looking to replace the 30A Charging System Generator Relay with a much smaller, solid state unit. It is simply noted as "Safety Relay" on the schematic. I know a lot of folks just eliminate the starter, go strictly kicker and forgo the relay altogether. But I am keeping the original starter, so I may as well do my pest to protect it. Hopefully I can find a good alternative for under $20.00. I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks again.
I'm now at this same stage thinking smaller components.... find any upgrade to this or the reg/rec ? and what flasher did you go to?

I'm now at this same stage thinking smaller components.... find any upgrade to this or the reg/rec ? and what flasher did you go to?
On the Reg/Rec contact Rick's and ask to talk with Richard. I took the advice from someone to order a specific part from Rick's and I did not talk to them. The part I ordered was actually for a Honda which made things a bit tricky. However, I called Richard and he walked me through a solution. He also said they can set one up specifically for the XS and with Yamaha wiring colors. As for the flasher relay, I'm sure any universal LED relay will work. I had one laying around that I think works with LED and I plan to add diodes to the hot leads on the front signals. So I hope that works. If it doesn't I'll spend a few $$ and get a converter like I've done with other bikes. I am keeping the safety starter relay as well. Unfortunately, the original is a 4 pin, (I believe 20 amp) normally closed unit. Today that's a tough configuration to find. However, the problem is easily solved by getting a 5 pin and wiring it as normally closed. Finally, I had hoped to go with a single coil. But , as I understand it, I would need to go with an electronic ignition to do so. Unfortunately at the time I needed one, no one had them in stock. So in order to forge ahead, I stuck with the points system. I can always change that out later if I choose. Good luck with your build. Make sure you post pics when you finish.

Back