Electrical

jonnyk

a2m
Reaction score
So i know NOTHING about electrical systems of any kind. I am in the midst of a chop bob of an '82 xs, and am running the bare minimum. I will have the head light, tail light, and that is it. That said can anyone tell me what all i need? I bought a chopper wiring kit from centech. Should that be all I need. Also, I was going to run without ignition, so I am just going to have a toggle on/off switch. I dont need a fuse panel do i?
Lost
Any direction is appreciated
Jon

It would be wise to run at least a fuse on your main lead coming off your positive terminal to your peripheral system (in this case just headlight and brakes). This way if you get a short the fuse burns out instead of your charging system or peripheral system or you start a fire. Maybe someone else can chime in about fusing the charging system, but I'm pretty sure that there are no fuses there on stock bikes.

If you are running a toggle switch, I would be inclined to run a relay with it so your full current isn't running through a cheap switch constantly. However, someone else may disagree, but I tend to over think that kind of stuff.

I used a keyed switch that way no one could walk up and flip the switch and go...i mean they could if they knew what they were doing i guess haha.

check out the wiring thread, lots of good stuff in there, I have never used the kit I just kinda made my own. I would recommend running a fuse as well. I run one fuse on the off the positive terminal and thats it.

Back