Engine noise - loose valves or loose rods? - analysis needed

I think locating the source is the first thing. "Why" would be next. The dampner just seems super easy, cheap, and fast to rule out first. Process of elimination type thing.

As for a leap off a cliff.......maybe......and Im like Forrest Gump smart here, ......cold oil seems thicker that warm oil. Maybe when it warms up there is a little less coverage.

Im reaching for straws here.

5twins verified it. Im smarter than I think. :thumbsup:

Well, you're one up on me, I don't even know how to do that quote thing, lol.

well heck, why do you need to quote anyone when your the one giving the answers all the time? ha its humorous to me that you have so many posts and still don't know how to do it....i'll give you a hint......its in the bottom right corner of every post :)

But.....back to the bike I am running 20w-50 ams oil....so Idk what to move to if that were the issue

Alright so bit of an update here. I pulled the plungers out of each of the engines and like 5twins said, the 77' was in fact a D-type with no lock nut and the 81' had the lock nut. However both had the dampening washers present. One (D-type) being copper and the other being what appears metal and rubber. I swapped units just to see if I could notice a difference. however the clutch is out of my bike right now so I was unable to start it up. I am doing a pre season teardown to chase some of the gremlins I had last season.

Before you "rip into it" a couple of hints -

Big end knock is usually worst at idle (or just off idle) due to lower oil pressures.
Valve clearances close up when the engine is hot, so would be noisier with a cold engine.

Back