Exhaust bends

jdreich

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do they get such clean bends in their pipes? Mandrel?
Auto+Fabrica+Type+6+%282%29.jpg

Cheers!
JD

that in particular, is computer generated. but there are some exhausts out there that are just as smooth.

Maybe they use really clean pipes?! If it was real, they would probably use a long-radius tubing roller, and I'll bet there would be a helluva lotta trial-and-error and try-fit to get it just right.

That's what I was thinking too! Those long radius benders are pricey for someone like me who would make only a few sets of exhaust or a couple frames that need that type of bend each year! I'll have to look into a diy option.
Thanks for the suggestion
Cheer
JD

Hi JD,
the least costly way to bend thin wall tube is to pour the tube full of Wood's metal:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal
Wood's metal ain't cheap but it can be used over and over.
When the Wood's metal sets solid bend the filled tube with forming blocks in a press
and then boil the bent tube up in a hot water bath to melt the Wood's metal out.
Health hazard warning!
Wood's metal has got lead and cadmium in it.
Use a breathing mask & gloves at the very least.

Thanks very much for the suggestion!
I've also been researching doing it yoshimura style with a large rosebud tip on the oxy/acetylene or propane and doing slow smooth bends. Couple good vids on YouTube.

JD,
HFT has those tubing rollers for relatively cheap (I don't know how well they'd do DOM), and when you were all done, sell it here in the classified forums!...

Some of the big manufacturers use explosive pressure to form tubes into complex bends. They use a heavy wall pipe and rough bend it to fit in a mold. Then then use explosive pressure inside the pipe to form it to the shape of the mod.
Harley uses that method to form the frames on the V-Rods.
I don't know if they actually use explosives or a high volume, very high pressure air blast.
Leo

Back