Exhaust opinion

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen in my other thread, some engine issues have led me to re-think the exhaust design on the bike below. Although it has run and has been ridden it was never completely happy and then started to not fire on the left cylinder (see other thread). Anyway, in the process of fault finding I found that the exhausts were actually pinholed in several places. And although the builder of the exhaust has offered to repair, I think this may be a good oppurtunity for a re-design.

Currently the are 44mm OD, which I now realise is too big. I'm thinking I should do at least down to a stock 38mm (1.5"), shorten them a tad and put some baffles in the end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

full

Are you concerned about heat expansion in the float bowl? It won't even fire from cold, so not sure that's a factor.

awesome bike .....reckon you could be in two Counties at the same time with that stretch .:)

I think the pipes really suit the bikes design and its difficult to see how you would fit any kind of conventional pipe/silencer arrangement without spoiling the visual flow if you know wot I mean.

it must be incredibly loud :yikes: my silencers are straight thru and my neighbours reckon they can hear my bike over 2 miles away.

I don't envy you having to set the bike up with velocity stacks and straight through pipes

awesome bike .....reckon you could be in two Counties at the same time with that stretch .:)

I think the pipes really suit the bikes design and its difficult to see how you would fit any kind of conventional pipe/silencer arrangement without spoiling the visual flow if you know wot I mean.

it must be incredibly loud :yikes: my silencers are straight thru and my neighbours reckon they can hear my bike over 2 miles away.

I don't envy you having to set the bike up with velocity stacks and straight through pipes

Couple of things to tick off here, lol:

- Thanks for the compliment! If I were to go for smaller pipes, the design would not change, just thinner pipes.
- When it ran, it was indeed VERY loud...louder than my Harley even. And yes, it is quite stretched, which was a bit unexpected and takes getting used to. But I love the look. Cornering over a speedbump is very interesting...
- I have some internal baffles that fit right into a 38mm pipe. I've used similar on my Harley, works a treat.
- Again, when it ran, it ran ok. I have another XS with the same carbs, free flowing pipes (although not straight through) and pod filters. Took some research, but I got there. But first I need to get it running again consistantly.

I used lollipops on my straight pipes I made up for the Victory before buying RPW Slash pipes.
Lollipops take the snarkle out on decel just tame the offensiveness a little.
Google em....dead easy to make.
Weld a washer to a bolt drill your pipes about 4 or 5 inches in and bolt to try then weld.
Or double locknut if you want adjustability...I welded mine fully facing the flow.
Hardly cuts the flow but sends the Soundwave back on itself.
Try it you might like it.

Cheers, I've seen them before. Not a bad idea, but I have these baflles laying about unused from another project. They bolt in much like the lollipops, so can always change if I want at some point...;)

Back