Exhaust Question -- Cross Over Pipes

Shelby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Pulled my pipes -- this is the extensively cleaned up version. Notice the cracks in the fitting where the crossover pipe meets up. The outer piece is missing one of the four fingers that should be under the clamp that holds them together. Local exhaust man -- Brian -- says he can cut that part off and replace it with a new fluted sleeved piece. My question is, that gasket on the inner piece -- the copper part cleaned up nice, but I can't figure out what the gasket's made of (Tar maybe?) or even if I should try to fix it. Thinking fill with hi temp JB Weld Epoxy?

1710298489168.png

That close to the head, you're gonna be well outside the temp range of J B Weld... btw, I J B Weld everything! You're prolly pushin 900-1000° up there.
They make a paste for sealing up wood stoves and such... name escapes me at the moment. I'd look for, and try some of that.

Maybe I don’t understand the picture, but are you talking the cross over pipe between the town mufflers under the engine / frame on like an 1978 model ? If so the temp will not get as high as 900. If that’s the pipe JB weld should work fine.

Yeah, the crossover will run a fair bit cooler than the rest. Guess I didn't think that through... :doh:

6 or 8 yrs ago I used this kit for my wood stove. Not sure why I was thinking it's a paste... it's more like an RTV. Anyway, two or three yrs ago the joints where my Cheap Commando muffs fitted to the headers started getting all sooted up. The crappy spacers Mikes sells never did seal very well so I used the leftovers of this stuff. It's still holding.

1710341700963.png

Maybe I don’t understand the picture, but are you talking the cross over pipe between the town mufflers under the engine / frame on like an 1978 model ? If so the temp will not get as high as 900. If that’s the pipe JB weld should work fine.
yes, the cross over pipe between the mufflers, behind the center stand.

I recently bought and used this RTV on the exhaust of my diesel heater. That pipe gets very hot and this stuff has stood up well. I’ve used a lesser grade of this sealant on automotive exhaust too and it worked well. Nice thing is, its relatively inexpensive, has flexibility and can fill a decent sized gap.

IMG_4232.png

Back