Exhaust squeak.

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced a squeaking sound coming out of their exhaust? I recently fired my bike up after a year long slumber along with some modifications. I changed from factory exhaust to Mikes single wall head pipes and custom Cone Engineering mufflers and am now noticing what sounds like a squeak coming from the right muffler. Everything is bolted tight, and nothing in the motor has been touched other than the carbs. Could this be from valves out of adjustment? or possibly lack of oil in the rocker? I have never heard suck a squeak before from the exhaust and it is only coming out the right side muffler. Is this something i need to be concerned over? I attached a couple of videos that you can faintly here what I am talking about.

Might that be valve tick that your short rather open muffler is just making sound like a squeak? Maybe you could do a careful valve clearance check and if OK, maybe alter the settings a little (+/- .001") to see if it has any effect.

Adjusted valves today. They were a little out but not bad. What I have discovered though is that the right cylinder is not firing at idle. If I throttle it up it seems to pick up. I’m doing my research now on what might be causing it

Back