Exhaust stud sheared off....

XS1961

XS addict!
Reaction score
Exhaust retaining stud sheared flush with the head :doh: Anyone had much luck using those l/h thread exhaust stud extractors?
What type of drill bit is best suited to drill through the stud? :shrug:

two things:

1 - heat the head in an oven... If you don't have it off the bike, run the bike for a bit to warm it up - the aluminum will expand more than the steel stud.

2 - the stud extractor is about the only way to go.

cobalt bits, start small GET IT CENTERED work your way up to larger size, drill clear thru old stud, shoot some pentetrating oil into it, heat the head or around the stud (propane, heat gun or just run the engine) be careful with a bolt extractor they can and do break off in the hole, if you center it properly you can drill all of the stud except the threads and then they will un-coil out of the head using a sharp pick

I have placed a nut over the broken stud and welded the nut to the stud. The heat will expand the stud to help break it free. Let it cool before putting a wrench to the nut.

Wait, did someone say the studs are left hand threaded? So when I go to remove mine I should turn them as I would *normally* turn to tighten a bolt? (clockwise if you're looking right at it)?

im not sure that the studs are left hand thread, the best way, if you can get a dremel in there, try to dremel it out, a drill bit can walk a hair, and when you start sizing up in bits a hair here, is way off there. since the dremel doesnt cut as fast as a drill bit would its a lot easier if you get off center a hair to correct it

when i have problems like that, ill grind the left over bolt flat so i can center punch it, then ill start with the dremel, ill make a round hole dead center with the dremel, then start with the smallest drill bit and work my way up, ill go up in bits untill the threads pretty much come out on there own.

then you can use a screw extractor or even a sharpened flat head screwdriver, hammer it in a bit and unscrew it

Well Im crap at straight-drilling studs, never had any luck in the past,always ended-up butchering the alloy which then needed filling and re-tapping... Im being warned away from those brittle 'easy-outs' , theyd be a nightmare if they snapped in there!! I reckon Ill seek out a local welder to tack on a washer & nut to the flush stud/bolt..Safer ..
Cheers all

Well Im crap at straight-drilling studs, never had any luck in the past,always ended-up butchering the alloy which then needed filling and re-tapping... Im being warned away from those brittle 'easy-outs' , theyd be a nightmare if they snapped in there!! I reckon Ill seek out a local welder to tack on a washer & nut to the flush stud/bolt..Safer ..
Cheers all

Its really easy. Do like the other guys said....I myself would do it this way. PB Blaster the stud for a day, get a center punch and mark the spot to put a drill bit in. Do a small hole. Then heat around the stud with a torch and get it hot. Use a left handed drill bit and start going at it while still hot. Sometimes they come right out using the bit, once the hole is big enough big use a left handed extractor. It should do the trick. The key is to keep the head hot and not the stud. You don't want the stud to swell with the heat.

Well, I couldnt wait so I used the drill..All turned out well, my power tools (or patience) are obviously much improved since I last did one 20+ years ago!
Thanks all

Plenty of good suggestions here so far. I've failed with more than one EZ-out because they snap off in the stud.. then you're kind of fucked. Getting the hole centered is key... So is have a high quality extractor. I usually mess it up and end up having to have the machine shop do it anyway.. then they get pissed because they have to deal with a snapped of EZ-out in the hole too. I have had some luck with welding a nut to a broken bolt or stud and using that to turn it out. Good luck!

I drilled a 3mm pilot then followed through with a 5mm, then I collapsed the remaining thread with a precision chisel, worked a treat. Easy-outs werent around when I last tackled a snapped stud so Im glad I asked first & tried without one, knowing my luck it wouldve been a guaranteed snap-off ...:shrug:
Cheers all:thumbsup:

Next time, if worse comes to worse there's a device called a metal disintegrator that is made for this kind of thing.

Since we're on the subject of EZouts....These little extractors here are the SH!T. Kinda hard to exactly whats goin on in the pic but they work, and they dont break. Theyre fluted so you drive them straight thru the bolt or stud and get positive contact all the way thru instead of just the end. Even comes with drill guides so if you still got some stud sticking out, centering is no prob. Kinda salty, but Ill never dick around with another EZout again.....
35585.jpg

the two bolts i snapped off i got out pretty easily with my extractor kit. one might say they came out too easily. hmm, i need to stop over wrenching before i really get one stuck.

Back