Few Misc. Questions

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, i've got a few misc questions that i'm looking to get some answers for.

I'm looking to get 2.5 ground clearance, and plan to run a 19 in the front, and 16'' 180 in the back. That where the majority of my questions are from.

A) i have a 40 degree rake, could i use stock forks, and have a 19'' in fit? will it be tight or something? would this prevent me from achieving a 2.5 inch ground clearance?

B) planning on having it hardtailed, with either a 3 or 4 inch stretch (again making it have 2.5 ground clearance). And the big part, running a 180! what all do i need to change out in order to run that big 180? is it difficult? pricey?

C) I don't know much about engines + Carbs. But I have a 81 engine, will any carb from any xs650 work? or do i need to specificly have a carb from a 81?

Thanks guys!

Man, 2.5" is really low. One of my HD's is at about 3.5, and even though it looks cool, it's a pain in the ass sometimes, especially trying to get it up on a lift. Even with my table lift it still scrapes and gets hung up on the ramp. Speedbumps and even getting into some driveways blows too, where I have to stand up to take the weight off of it and kinda walk it over the obstruction.
The only other thing I can add is to make sure your rake and trail are correct when doing this, otherwise the ride and handling capabilities will really suck. My HD is raked to 38deg, but its got 16" wheels on both ends. with a stretch you might be able to get it down to 2.5 though, you may need longer fork tubes to accomplish this. There was another thread on here about someone wanting to put a 180 on their XS. I can't help you with that part though cuz I don't know if it'll work or not.
Keep us posted with your updates!

Haven't there been like 10 of these threads lately? Although I know you chopper guys aren't too worried about handling :thumbsup:....I still think 2.5 inches is too low! Think about road debris, god forbid ever needing to turn and maneuver.

Back