Figuring out new clearance based on rake?

NewestOnTheBlock

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure this out. I came across this thread (see link) that a guy did, which is very much the same stretch and drop that I think I want to do.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11707

I too will be running stock wheels/forks. with a 4'' stretch and a 2'' drop. He measured his ground clearance to be 4.25'' with the hardtail.

Now I plan on doing that too most likely. However I want to bring the rake out to 38 degrees. Lets say I use the stock forks with the stock wheels (1980).

How drastically does that change the ground clearance? or.....is it not that noticeable. Surely the ground clearance will be effected, the question is by how much?

Ok then. So with the combined info, if I drop the hardtail and rake the front end, I should get almost even.....with a .25 difference........preety good.

Follow up: At what point does the ground clearance become to low/safe? I've seen some with only 2.5'' ground clearance, but idk how hard it was to ride that.I can understand wanting the bike to get low, but at a certain point it effects how you ride....

Most ppl drop the tail by 2''......to get 4.25'' clearance. Whats the general thought on 3'' or 3.5'' ground clearance?

Very subjective area here. I've seen customs with only 1/2" (garage queens), and offroad with 20" (and the owner felt it wasn't enough). Myself, I'd like to have at least 4 1/2" on a street custom, just so I wouldn't get stuck in our local BBQ joint's gravel parking lot...

Understandable. I ride on pavement/asphalt 100% of the time. I'm thinking of going lower even.........3.5 or 4'' clearance....My main concern I guess is turning/cornering. Thoughts?

With more rake, the front end lowers even more when at full lock, affects low speed clearance.
My other `71 uses tuck-under TT's, low mounted midsets tucked in tight, makes ground level area narrow for clearance. If you've got fat/wide goin' on down there, you'll have problems...

Back