finally built my welding table.

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
I have been dreaming of building this table for years and finally did it.
Its 42"x 90" with a 3/8 thick top. I wanted 1/2" but this will be fine and i picked it up for a decent price. The frame is made from 1 1/2 x 2" x 1/8 thick and the legs are 3x3x 1/4" thick. Total weight is over 600 pounds.
The chop saw is recessed in so the top is flush with the table top. Vise,grinder,arbor press and drill press are permanently mounted.
Unloading the top from my work van and then flipping the table after building it were quite a challenge.
Here is the top when I got it unloaded
2011-10-15204748.jpg

After building the frame.
2011-10-17203734.jpg

Tring to flip it over. About killed myself,this was a bad idea but I did win.
2011-10-18195817.jpg

2 nights of grinding to get the top that nice.
2011-10-20203758.jpg

Finished.
2011-10-23155700.jpg

2011-10-23155715.jpg

2011-10-23155735.jpg

2011-10-23155756.jpg

2011-10-23155822.jpg

Nice. I see you have a key shop ingredient. TV! Woodtove heat?

Haha ya the shop is definitely my get away. Put in a bathroom,42" plasma TV with digital. Full furnace and a wood stove as axillary heat. Refrigerator,computer basically anything you would find in a house.

No ac for me yet. Its a cement block building so it stays cool unless its over 80 for a few days with humidity. Central air will be soon, already have the furnace in here and have buddies in the hvac trade to it wont cost to much.

Nice table! I like the flush mount chop saw. I have a nice wood work bench that holds the lathe and a sheet of 1/4 steel to tig on the other end. When I move im going to do a full steel table for welding. Im gonna run a 1/2 top tho.

Nice wheelie:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

Mine is much smaller in comparison but allows me to easily weld small items, which was it's intent. Also, it's on wheels and portable since space is an issue in my shed. I do all my welding outside because the shed is packed full of bikes, tools, chemicals, etc.

WeldingTable.jpg

I welded a bolt to the table leg and made a ground cable with an eye on the end to ground the whole table. You simply clamp the part you're welding to the table top and weld away .....

TableGround.jpg

Here's my buddy's centerstand. I repaired and braced the broken tang plus added grease nipples .....

Fixtures-StandRepair.jpg

SWBill. I noticed you have a powder setup. . . . . how much for a small box of parts in black ;) jk.

Nice looking setup. Plan on oiling the table?

SWBill. I noticed you have a powder setup. . . . . how much for a small box of parts in black ;) jk.

Nice looking setup. Plan on oiling the table?

Yep it oiled (wd40). Ill powdercoat anything ya want for a case of beer. Send it my way.

Thanks for all the compliments guys,appreciate it.

Nice table there. Did you weld it together with the old buzz box?

The frame is mig welded but anywhere its welded to the top I used the stick. My mig can handle the 3/8 ok but not great. Anything over 1/4 I prefer to stick weld it.

Nice table! I like the flush mount chop saw. I have a nice wood work bench that holds the lathe and a sheet of 1/4 steel to tig on the other end. When I move im going to do a full steel table for welding. Im gonna run a 1/2 top tho.

Nice wheelie:laugh:

Posted via Mobile

I really wanted 1/2" but the $600 price tag killed that idea. I have less than $400 into the whole table.

Back