First motorcycle Rebuild '79 special

carkom

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well this is my intro to motorcycle rebuilding thread. Forgive me for any newbie questions.

I got my xs650 last summer (July '11). It ran well at the time I purchased it ($700). Petcock's leaked, which I found out quickly was a frequent problem with these bikes' vacuum petcocks. It was missing air filters. The engine was disgustingly dirty (33 years of never being cleaned I'm sure).

I had just turned in my leased car so I used this bike as a commuter as soon as I bought it. To and from work 5 days a week about 15 miles each way. Front brake seemed sticky, almost like it wanted to catch while I was riding on the highway and on hot days while parked it just fully locked up a couple times to the point of not being able to move the bike at all (I know dangerous). The front master cylinder leaked brake fluid once and a while (again on hot days). Other than that it was a dream :p.

One day on my way home from work I partially lost power and start bellowing smoke from the left exhaust pipe. I limp it home (seemed to be on one cylinder). Figured it was the rings or a holed piston. Not wanting to get that deep into a project I hang it up the for the winter and just leave it sitting in my garage(money was tight). Then I had to move so it ended up in the storage unit with all my crap (this was March). As the weather started getting warmer I got jealous of all the bikers on their functioning motorcycles. I pulled it out of storage and began my journey.

Sadly I don't have any before pics. Pulled the bike out of storage around May 15, this is the night I pulled the engine out and got to work (May 17th).

IMG_20120517_214517.jpg

Pulled the head to find this...
IMG_20120518_102759.jpg

As expected, holed the piston. Currently, I have it completely pulled apart, broke open the crankcase to clean out the piston pieces. Cylinders had some scoring, boring them to 1st oversize and replacing both pistons. Having the cases thoroughly cleaned. Replacing all gaskets (some where literally glued on and came off in layers instead of all one piece), all oil seals, front master cylinder, sump oil filter, oil screen, all o-rings (some were in pretty terrible shape), carb holders. Converted Petcocks to manual, good bye vacuum! Rebuilt carbs. Cleaned every part, nut, bolt, and washer to shine like new. Replacing clutch thrust washer/bearing to improve ability to get into neutral.

Pulled my calipers apart today to dig into front brake issues, found this...
20120530_143445.jpg

I think I know why my brake was having such a hard time, new piston and rebuild kit will take care of that.

Right now I'm waiting to get my cases and cylinders back so I can start rebuilding. For the summer I'm not doing anything cosmetic. I just want to get her up and running for the season and then I'll start thinking about design changes I want to make over the winter.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips/tricks to watch out for while rebuilding. Feel free to comment or leave questions, just trying to get plugged in. Thanks!

Welcome muchacho! I think the best tip/advice that I can give you is to take it slow and double check everything. Don't lose hope and ask/search the forum if you get stumped. Sounds like you are off to a great start so far.

Keep it up!

She lives! Started up for me on the first kick. While adjusting the mixture screws, unplugged right spark plug, adjusted the screw. Plugged right back in and unplugged left. The bike wouldn't idle on that cylinder unless I gave it more throttle. Adjusted the throttle screw all the way in which finally got the right cylinder idling on it's own. Adjusted that mixture screw. Adjusted throttle stop back to normal, kicked it, and now the right cylinder has a backfire every once and a while.

What would cause the right cylinder to need more throttle to idle? Why the backfire? Thanks for the help! I want to get this baby back on the road.

Last edited:
Found out the back fire was from unsynced carbs. Once I synced them everything worked great. That was about 2.5 months ago or so. I've got about 100 miles on the rebuilt engine and everything is working great!

I got a Pamco ignition and new high performance coils from mikesxs about a month ago. This helped with idling issues.

I've been piecing together a PMA system for the past 2 months and just installed it yesterday and today. Lights are brighter, idle is steadier. All in all she's pretty rock solid mechanically and electronically. I'll ride for another 2 months until it gets too cold then move on to cosmetic changes (eg. seat, sissy bar, tank paint, etc.)

I've heard a lot of guys discouraging people to diy your PMA and just buy a kit because you can't find the stuff anymore. Just wanted to say it's possible and well worth it. the PMA system cost broke down as follows:

Stator 1991 ZX600D 90-93 Ninja (ebay) - $30 shipped
Banshee Flywheel and Bracket (bansheeHQ forums) - $70 shipped
Mounting Plate (hugh's handbuilt) - $32.50 shipped
Regulator Rectifier Yamaha Virago V Star (ebay - from China, works perfectly) - $18.99 shipped
Total - 151.49

Also, I should be able to sell my rotor and stator (to those that still like to fiddle with a 30 year old charging system) as well as all the relays I took off the bike (safety relay, regulator, rectifier, starter solenoid) and end up just about even on the whole swap.

Did your brakes work OK without a master cylinder rebuild? Did you do the rear as well? Kudos for taking care of getting it functioning correctly before getting all wrapped around the cosmetics. Proper procedure!

My brakes did work OK accept for the locking up on hot days before the rebuild. I never tried the bike with the brakes rebuilt (new piston) and old master cylinder. I replaced the front master cylinder because the screws on the lid were all stripped out and it wasn't sealing well (reason for the leaking on hot days) at the same time as the piston replacement. So brand new one was ordered from mikesxs.

I haven't done the back brakes yet but I'm planning to once the riding season is over. Same thing I did with the front...full tear down, check piston, clean everything, new pads, rebuild kit, I have a spare rotor with more meat on it I'll be swapping in, etc.

Yeah, I've never understood riding a bike that could fall apart at any moment but wow, it sure looks cool....I'm the kind of guy that gets the guts working first then enjoys adding the sparkle later.

Back