First Start - Question About Oil Priming

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my '83 apart for about three weeks now. The crank is pretty much devoid of oil. Once I install the sump filter and add oil I'm planning to give it an attempt at starting. My question is:

Is there anything I should do to try and "prime" the oil gallery?

Just curious. I'd like to avoid any damage from dry pumping during the time it takes the oil pump to prime and populate the oil passages.

Thanks,
Brock

Well, you could kick it with the key off to move some oil around. Could leave one of the valve adj. covers off, kick it untill you see some oil there.
When I rebuilt my top end I covered the rings, pistons and sleeves with 2 stroke oil just so she wouldn't be dry. Kicked it with the key off, 5,000+ so far

+1 on above and to do your leg a favour take the plugs out first (can give it a spray in there too if your worried.)

Thanks guys. Battery is taking a charge right now. I tried kicking then cranking it earlier today with no success. :wtf:

I adjusted the valve clearances correctly earlier this week (or so I think). It almost sounds like my left cylinder is having a contact issue with a valve. I'm going to have to double and triple check that tomorrow before I go any farther.

Confirm for me....intake valve clearance 0.0024 and exhaust 0.006, right?

It's an '83 XS650.

I do a snug .004 in and .006 ex on my '83

You're right. Somehow I slipped an extra 2 into my typing earlier. It shouldn't have been there. 0.004 and 0.006 is what I meant to type. Either way, you confirmed it for me. Thanks.

.003 intake and .006 exhaust is a popular setting.I remove the oil filter cover and filter in the right side cover. I then use an oil can to fill the passage in the side of the hole the filter sets in with oil. This is the passage from the pump.
With the cover off, plugs out, I kick the bike over untill oil flows out the passage from the pump. Reinstall the filter and cover.
Next I loosen the fitting that holds the oil line to the head, Kick it over untill oil flows out at the fitting.
This will get oil to the head. By now oil should be pumped into the crank bearings and into the tansmission. Snug the fitting back down.
Checking your valve settings is good. I also might try leaving the valve adjuster covers off and watching the valve action. If a valve is sicking in the open position it can hit the piston. This will push the valve back up, unless it is stuck hard, then it can bend the valve.
The valve setting even if way off won't make a valve hit the piston.
Good luck.

Back