Fixing my electric starter

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally going to go back and attempt to get my electric starter and have a question for you folks It's off a 75
I know the wishbone clip on gear # 4 has to be more than 5lbs (it's in the book) or in a service bulletin I've seen
How do you measure the lbs of pressure exerted on the clip
When your done squeezing the clip in a vice do you just hang the clip off something and then see how much force it takes for the gear to turn freely ?
It's the only thing I'm not clear on
You can use a fish scale / hang a jug of water from it ( a pints a lb the world around etc.)
Thanks Mike

I'm finally going to go back and attempt to get my electric starter and have a question for you folks It's off a 75
I know the wishbone clip on gear # 4 has to be more than 5lbs (it's in the book) or in a service bulletin I've seen
How do you measure the lbs of pressure exerted on the clip
When your done squeezing the clip in a vice do you just hang the clip off something and then see how much force it takes for the gear to turn freely ?
It's the only thing I'm not clear on
You can use a fish scale / hang a jug of water from it ( a pints a lb the world around etc.)
Thanks Mike
I am going to using an OEM gear and clip too

Here's a good thread that covers the repair. Yes, you use a fishing scale to check the clip tension. Probably best to check it before and after squeezing the clip tighter to see what improvement has been made .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

Your '75 probably originally had the weaker skinny wire clip. You'll want to upgrade that to the newer, heavier wire clip as per this tech bulletin .....

RriZnP9.jpg

Here's a good thread that covers the repair. Yes, you use a fishing scale to check the clip tension. Probably best to check it before and after squeezing the clip tighter to see what improvement has been made .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

Your '75 probably originally had the weaker skinny wire clip. You'll want to upgrade that to the newer, heavier wire clip as per this tech bulletin .....

RriZnP9.jpg
But do you just pull until spring just starts to move away from the gear ?
The first picture from that thread is not too clear it has the photo bucket logo on it

No, you pull to the side until the clip rotates. That shows you how much tension it is exerting on the gear. You want 5 lbs. or more. More is better.

Thanks guys I'm going to get out there and take a look at it as soon as the sun shines again (more heat)
I'm sure its as simple as it says
It aint rocket science I just need to give it a try, and try and borrow a fish scale to check it

The water jug thing work well to. Fill a gallon jug with 5 pints of water. Tie to the wish bone on the clip. Hold the shaft so the clip points sightly up. Then try to lift the jug. If you can then the clip is tight enough. If not try a bit tighter.
Or you can mount the shaft in a visze with the empty jug hanging up off the floor and slowly fill the jug and count the pints of water as you go.
If it holds at least 5 pints then your golden.
I used both methods just to compare how well they work. Both woprl very well.
Leo

The water jug thing work well to. Fill a gallon jug with 5 pints of water. Tie to the wish bone on the clip. Hold the shaft so the clip points sightly up. Then try to lift the jug. If you can then the clip is tight enough. If not try a bit tighter.
Or you can mount the shaft in a visze with the empty jug hanging up off the floor and slowly fill the jug and count the pints of water as you go.
If it holds at least 5 pints then your golden.
I used both methods just to compare how well they work. Both woprl very well.
Leo
That's kind of what I was thinking of putting it in a vise and using water in the jug to gage the weight
Thanks Mike

Back